brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2008 PT Cruiser: Cooling fan..shutoff..thermostat..fan relay

Cooling fan continues to run after ignition is shutoff on my 2008 PT Cruiser. Is it possible a thermostat or fan relay?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Yes it can have a relay sticking and cause this problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it something I could change or does it require major work?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Not a big deal to replace a relay it just pushes in and pulls out. It is located under the hood in the fuse box. There should be two of them one for low speed and one for high speed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've only had the vehicle three months. Is this the fuses on the firewall? Can you tell me where the fuses are located inside of the vehicle?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
They are under the hood in the fuse box. They should be labeled to tell you which ones they are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I need to change the low speed and the high speed relay? Is there an indicator that tells me which one is bad? Do the relays look the same?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
They will look the same. Remove them one at a time and the one that causes the fan to stop working is the one you need to replace
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last question I hope!!! What should I expect to pay for a relay? Are there any fuses located under the dash board? I did not see any when I was looking?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
The fuses are under the hood by the air cleaner and normally a relay is around $15.00
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is not a low speed and a high speed relay it is just one 50AMP fuse. The fan stops when I pull it out but the fuse does not look blown. Should I get a replacement fuse anyways?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I was advised there was a low and high relay in the fuse box but there is only one 50amp fuse. Should I change the fuse or look at something else to fix the problem?
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may need to alter the answer to your needs.

In 2008 they no longer use individual relays to control the fan. The fan is controlled directly by the Totally Integrated Power Module or TIPM. The TIPM is the part under the hood that houses the fuses. If your fan won't shut off then you likely have an internal TIPM failure and it would require replacement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you are suggesting replacing the whole fuse box base? Is that a relatively simple tasking?
The fuse box is actually an electronic control module and not just a fuse box. Replacing it is straightforward but DO NOT install a used one because these are all VIN specific. These will be several hundred dollars so it would be worthwhile to have a shop do a formal diagnosis with a scan tool.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My computer kicked offline so I'm back. Can I pull the fuse and isolate it temporarily so I can use the vehicle without causing further damage? Would this be factory warranted?
Sure, pulling the fuse will stop the fan.

If you still have warranty coverage, then it will likely be covered, yes.