Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified

2008 chrysler sebring: unhook the battery so it doesnt die

Customer Question

I have a 2008 chrysler sebring convertible I was wondering how I could unhook the battery so it doesn't die while sitting in storage for twelve months
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible. There is a fuse in the main PDC under the hood, that is called the IOD fuse (ignition off draw) If you remove this fuse, it is the same as disconnecting the battery. this disconnects all items that can draw power from the battery when the key is off. If you need location, let me know and I will look it up for you...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, clicking "Accept" is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need the location

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 years ago.

Ok, sorry about the delay, I will get that info for you....

The Fuses are located in the fuse box by the air cleaner.

You can also disconnect the Negative Battery terminal, shown in the picture also.

I'm posting a Fuse Chart for the IOD. I noticed that there is more than 1 IOD fuse, so it might be desirable to disconnect the negative cable instead, it is easy to access. Note that the pic shown is a 2010 Sebring, but the 08 should be the same.

One other thing to remember is that even though the battery is disconnected for the 12 months, i still recommend purchasing a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged during this time as ALL batteries self discharge at a very slow rate, so even if you disconnect the battery it still may be dead after 12 months. Go to the Battery Tender website for more info...

here is the Fuse chart for you - Click here to view

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!