brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Chrysler LHS: How to remove/replace the power steering reservoir

How to remove/replace the power steering reservoir on a 1999 chrysler lhs with the 3.5 High Output Engine? (My son was working on the vehicle and somehow broke the "nipple" on the small hose that connects to the reservoir and fluid leaked out of the tank)
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

REMOVAL
  1. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  2. Remove the power steering return hose from the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose going to the power steering pump from the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. Let power steering fluid drain from hoses and reservoir.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Remove the power steering fluid reservoir from the mounting bracket by rotating the rear of the reservoir toward the engine and out of the bracket.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the power steering fluid reservoir into the mounting bracket. Be sure the retaining tab on the bracket is holding the reservoir in the bracket. Fasten screw to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) .
  2. Raise vehicle.
  3. Install the power steering return hose onto the nipple on the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. Install the power steering fluid supply hose going to the power steering pump, on the bottom nipple of the power steering fluid reservoir. Install the hose clamps, being sure they are past the hose retention beads on reservoir nipples.
  4. Lower vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do I need to remove this screw prior to removing the reservoir? Then just reinstall when the new reservoir is installed in the bracket?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Yes remove the screw holding the bracket and yes reinstall the new reservoir into the bracket and install