Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1999 Chrysler Sebring: no spark

1999 Chrysler Sebring JXI 2.5 Got up this morning had no start/no spark Need troubleshooting procedure to trace cause...got exoerience with thi method, but don't have the plan....or common causes
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. I would start by swapping out the ASD relay to see if that helps, its a fairly common problem. The distributor assembly is also common to fail, you can get a used one from www.car-parts.com to save money...Here are testing instructions. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

http://db.tt/MfaAfo9L
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On the ASD, do you mean pin 30 to pin 87A? There is no contact on pin 87
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now, are you sure about pin 4 on PCM connector

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
...because I get no spark ...bad dist ?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes pin 4 but I think wire is actually red/green and not black/grey..Distributors are very common to fail on these vehicles. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's Blk/Gry On way to Pulla Part for dist...will get back with you in 2-3 hours Thx
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New dist doesn't spark either
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Did you check to see if there was good power/ground at the distributor?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Here is a wire diagram to help with checking power/ground and also make sure it has good 8v on orange/white.

http://db.tt/fPM69LOu
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Found the ground prob...had spark ..put it togetther...started and stallstalled several times...now lost spark again
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Odd...your going to have to go back to the basics by making sure it has good power/ground using a testlight while trying to start. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get the spark on the tower test...but not to the plugs
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that tells me rotor/cap are bad or coil is putting out weak spark...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it going...originally there was a black ground wire coming from harness that was broken...then, I had knocked apart the Crank sensor connector while restling with the distributor...but for now, all is well...thx...the spark tet procedure was the ticket!