Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

09 dodge cummins 6.7, knocking at idle, normal? sounds like

Customer Question

09 dodge cummins 6.7, knocking at idle, normal? sounds like bearing
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

You may actually be having a "fuel knock". This is usually caused by a bad injector. I recommend taking it to the dealer and have them run an "injector kill test". This is the best test to run to Isolate a bad injector, If the noise goes away when killing one of the injectors, I would suspect that injector. If the "fuel Knock" is let go too long, The injector may fail completely and cause piston and cylinder damage. If the dealer won't do nothing for you, I recommend taking it to another dealer for a second opinion...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, are injector failures common on these engines? Only 40000 miles. I know diesels are
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, are injector failures common on these engines? Only 40000 miles. I know diesels are "noisy engines" , are these 6.7s known to have a " knock" at idle" I feel like my buddies 5.9, does not make this noise. I will have it checked, but I want good ammo, as I'm sick of hearing " its normal". I work mainly on fords and this is my first cummins, so I'm not too sure about what normal sounds like on these. Also, I know people are deleting the egr and dpf on these as its better for the engine. What's your feeling on that as far as warranty issues vs better reliability. I don't want more power or anything just a healhier engine. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 years ago.

No, injector failures are not common on the 6.7l but I have seen it in the past. Remember, that this may be a normal noise, but it can't hurt to be sure...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

For the most part, 6.7 engines are fairly quiet, so if you're concerned, it's best to make sure, like I stated earlier, get a second opinion if you're not happy with the first dealer...

As for the DPF Delete, and egr, It DEFINITELY affects warranty issues, so I would recommend not doing it.

As for being "Better for the Engine", I'm not sure I agree with that, as since the 2007 model year, I think most of the Kinks have been worked out with the software on the ECM's on these engines. Because of the latest updates, the engines are actually running very clean to begin with and we are not seeing nearly as many issues with reliability that we seen when the 6.7 first came out. Remember, this was a new system back then so all the "bugs" had to be worked out. I'm still seeing 6.7's with well over 300k on the clock and totally "stock" and still running fine...

Register Here

We see a lot more issues with injectors on the 5.9 engines at this time, and the injectors is actually what is "taking out" these engines. The 6.7 injectors are built much more robust and as a result have not seen nearly as much failures with these engines...

The only Enemy at this point is Contamination in the fuel, be it water or dirt, so frequent fuel filter and air filter changes is a must, also oil change interval is very important also... so as long as the engine is maintained properly, I have no reason to beleive that longevity should be an issue...