Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

Chrysler pacifica: My drivers door wont latch. The manual

Customer Question

My driver's door won't latch. The manual door lock is frozen in lock position and the door handle is stretched and useless. How do I fix this?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

Is there a way that you can take a picture of the door latch? This will be the best way for me to help you determine what is wrong, If you can't do this, let me know and we can approach it in a different way... I'll be waiting for your reply...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure that a picture will help. Let me try to explain the course of events. Used electronic key remote to unlock and open the doors. Back door opened but when tried to open front door, it would not open from the outside.went to passenger door climbed in and opened driver door using inside door handle. At that point, the handle became useless, the cable that connects it to the latch is frozen, and stretched out. Similiar to bicycle break cables. The latch that secures the door when closed is freely moving up and down, the manual door lock is frozen in the lock position so because the door handle cable is stretched and frozen and the manual lock is frozen in lock position, something won't give causing the entire mechanism to malfunction. Thank you
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

If that is the case, then the latch will need to be replaced along with the "stretched" cable. I would not attempt to repair the latch as it is a "Safety Concern" if the latch happens to fail while the car is being driven. I'm not sure if the Latch Assembly is available aftermarket, but you should be able to purchase one from the dealer, Replacement is fairly easy since you already have the door panel off, just remove all linkage rods from the latch by releasing the clips, then remove the 3 torx screws holding it in from the back of the door opening, disconnect the electrical connector and it should come out from the door...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will look into your diagnostic reply. It sounds appropriate; however, I need to fix it and find out. Thank you for you help and the fee is worth it if the advise is accurate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to be sure that the advice is accurate
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
What year is your Pacifica? I can post some removal instructions for you if you like....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, it's been a busy week.

My pacifica is 2004 w/ 88,000 miles.

The dealership can order the latch assembly. The service manager explained that his mechanic can look at it to diagnose if the latch assembly is truely the cause for about one half of the one hundred dollar + per hour hourly repair rate.

I plan to look into it myself this weekend and would appreciate your help.

As mentioned, the door panel was removed but not disconnected from wires. Coincidently, the door latched closed so it is driveable with the knowledge to watch that door and must climb into the driver's seat through the passenger door.

Can you offer any advise as I begin to undertake this adventure.

I remember as a teen/young adult having crashers that door panels were optional and it wasn't too difficult replacing any parts or repairing anything on the old cars.

How complicated has it become to change out this door latch assembly or if I can monkey-rig it so that I can open and close the door. Locking it using the lock component may not work but it would be a small price to pay than going to the dealership and paying them my Christmas budget for this latch assembly and repair.

I'm surmising that the mechanic will have to replace the part rather than working to get it fixed the most economical way. Plus my wife is driving me up a tree to get it fixed inexpensively. She really wants to have Christmas money.

Thanks for your help

Blane

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

The first thing you can try is to adjust the linkage, this may be all that is wrong... I'm posting a procedure for doing this...Click here to view

If you find that the adjustment doesn't work, I'm posting the latch removal instructions...Click here to view

If you have trouble viewing these documents, let me know, I can post in a different format...

After removal of the latch assembly you will likely find that there is not much that can be done to repair it, No parts except the cables are available separately and there is a plastic housing over the mechanism assembly.

Here is a couple pictures of the latch assembly removed:

graphic

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Crap.

Thank you for the help; however, I can't open the files. Also, the door won't open now.

How can I get the door open so that I can take the panel off and start to try to use your advice?

Do I push like hell from inside and hope?

Help

Thanks

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

ok, I will repost the documents: Adjustment - Click here to view Removal - Click here to view

As for getting the door open again, good luck on that one! You may need 2 people for this, try holding the lock button in the unlock position while trying to open the door from the inside, try rocking the door back and forth from the outside and hopefully you can get it to pop open... good luck!