Canadafix
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience:  Certified Canadian Class A Technician since 1989

i have no heat in my 98 chryssler conord

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try to assist you with the no heat issue.

If the engine is coming up to temperature and noting that your car is a 1998, there is a good possibility that the heater core is restricted.

Check the two hoses that lead into the core at the firewall. Both should be almost too hot to hold and of equal temperature.
If one is is colder than the other then the core is restricted and you will have no heat.

Flushing the system will often not solve this.
In order to clean out the core it will need attention on it's own.
Undo the hoses and put on a couple of hoses on the end of the core pipes. Pour in some solution to remove lime buildup such as CLR.
Let it sit for a few minutes and flush it out well.
The use of compressed air would also be a good idea to blow it out.

Your questions or comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
someone told me the heat exchange door was not working
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK, you did not mention that previously.

When you move the control from hot to cold can you hear anything moving or a change in air flow pitch?

Have you already checked the heater core?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i yet to check the heatercore, but where would the heat exchange door be located?
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

Could you please answer my question to you on the movement of the heat door?
This way we can determine the cause of the problem.

There are many components that also control the door movement.
If we can determine if it is or isn't moving we can get to the root of the problem.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if the core was clog would it not overheat because no circulation are these reply also going to mty email?

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

No, a plugged up core will not cause an overheat in most cases.

Check out the heat door for movement and the heater core hoses and get back to me.
I will be on for several hours yet today so no rush on my part.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will try moving it from hot to cold and see what happens
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK, good!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how will get back in touch when i find something out
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

This dialogue will remain open for us to communicate.
I will be on for most of the day tomorrow.
You can reply to me anytime here.

thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i check the temp control and it does not change sounds until it reach the lowest setting 60 degree
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
So it does move.

Have you checked the heater core supply lines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i did not check those as it is to dark and cold now will check on sunday.

thanks for your help, keith

Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK Keith.

See you tomorrow.

Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just got the car up to operating temp and check the heater core lines one is hot and the other is cold what is my next step?
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Kieth.

Follow the process I described before on flushing it out.

I use a couple of pieces of heater hose long enough to slide over the heater tubes.
Then I pour in Muriatic acid in one of the hoses and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I flush it clear with water and blow it out with compressed air.

Muriatic acid is very strong and safe use is very important. Safety goggles and protective clothing is essential.
CLR is much less potent and will usually work. It may take a couple applications.

Questions or comments on this subject are welcome.
Thank you.
Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hoe do i get to the lines as they are way back on the firewall can i take the top shroud off?
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Remove what you need to access it Keith.
I think it is the air cleaner ductwork and the top cover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did the clean out with muriac but still very little heat
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello Keith.

Was there much stuff come out with it?

Did it improve the heat?
If it did, it may need to be done again.

Bernie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will try it again, as there is a little heat not much stuff came out
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Are the two hoses equally hot now with the heater on high fan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes they are
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Well it must have improved. One was previously colder.
Have you taken the car for a drive yet to test it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have put about 100 miles on it since
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Give it one more try Keith.
How much did it improve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
very little
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello Keith.
Here is a service bulletin that may relate to your issue.

NUMBER: 07-002-02

GROUP: Cooling

DATE: Feb. 4, 2002

A vehicle may exhibit **low or no cabin heat,** engine overheating and/or coolant bottle damage after service has been performed on the engine cooling system This may be caused by lack of complete ** filling or** refilling of the system with coolant/antifreeze.

DIAGNOSIS:

When refilling the engine cooling system after any service operation which required a complete or partial draining of the engine coolant, the following Repair Procedure must be used to ensure a complete fill of the engine cooling system. This is a Repair Procedure clarification.

NOTE :**THIS BULLETIN ALSO APPLIES WHEN THE COOLANT LEVEL APPEARS TO BE CORRECT BUT THE CABIN HEAT IS LOW AND/OR WHEN ADDING COOLANT BECAUSE THE COOLANT LEVEL IS VISIBLE BUT BELOW THE COLD FILL LINE (1993-1997 MODEL YEARS) OR BELOW THE MINIMUM LINE (1998 AND LATER MODEL YEARS).**

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

CAUTION :MAKE SURE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM IS COOL BEFORE REMOVING PRESSURE CAP OR ANY HOSE! SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY MAY RESULT FROM ESCAPING HOT COOLANT. THE COOLING SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED WHEN HOT.
1. Obtain COOLING SYSTEM filling aid (Special Tool 8195). The device looks like a funnel which attaches onto the filler neck (just as a regular pressure cap does) along with an attached hose clip.
2. Attach filling aid to COOLING SYSTEM filler neck. Use the clip to pinch off the overflow hose attached to the fill neck. Attach a 1-1/2 to 2 meter (four to six foot) long 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) ID clear hose to the bleed valve. Put the end of the hose into a clean container. This is to prevent coolant from spilling onto the accessory drive belts.
NOTE :IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COOLING SYSTEM AIR BLEED VALVE BE OPENED BEFORE ANY COOLANT IS ADDED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. FAILURE TO OPEN THE BLEED VALVE FIRST WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE FILL OF THE SYSTEM.
3. Open the COOLING SYSTEM bleed valve:
1998 Model Years and Later
^ 2.7 Liter Engines: Located on the water outlet connector at the front of the engine.
^ 3.2/3.5 Liter engines: Located on the lower intake manifold, left of center under the upper intake manifold.
1993-1997 Model Years
^ 3.5 Liter engine: Located on the THERMOSTAT HOUSING.
^ 3.3 Liter engine: Located on the THERMOSTAT HOUSING
4. Pour a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water into the large side of the filling aid/funnel. Mix the coolant concentrate with distilled, deionized, or reverse-osmosis purified water.
5. Slowly fill the COOLING SYSTEM through the large side of the filling aid. Watch the hose connected to the bleed valve! When a steady stream of coolant comes out of the hose, close the bleed valve and continue filling to the top of the filling aid.
6. 1993-1997 model years: Put a small, clean reservoir (approximately 16 ounce or 1/2 liter capacity) below the end of the overflow hose.
7. Remove the clip from the overflow hose. Any excess coolant in the filling aid will now drain into the overflow section of the COOLANT BOTTLE or into the small reservoir.
8. 1993-1997 model years: Remove the reservoir and recycle the excess coolant.
9. Remove the filling aid from the fill neck. Ensure that the bottom seal of the cap and the fill neck are free of debris and replace the pressure cap on the COOLANT BOTTLE.
IMPORTANT :The 1998 and later model year COOLANT BOTTLE has two chambers. Coolant will normally only be in the inboard (smaller) of the two. The outboard chamber is only to recover coolant in the event of an overheat and should normally be empty (except for the coolant drained from the filling aid. This coolant will be drawn back into the pressurized side of the COOLING SYSTEM over time). NOTE : FILL PROCEDURES ARE CRITICAL TO OVERALL COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will have to try this first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
another question the abs and trac control lights stay on
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
OK, let me know.