Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

2001 pt..timming belt..all the wayback to slide belt on..the slack

I Have a 2001 PT Cruiser2.4. I can't get the timming belt around the tentioner when pulled around all the wayback to slide belt on. I took out all the slack in the belt. I'm trying to put a new belt on. I have checked belt size and they say it's the right one for the vehicle.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
hi,

did you rotate the tensioner and then lock it into position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I lock in tentioner?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, here you go:

Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner locking belt tensioner. While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole
graphic

when you install the belt, start at the crankshaft sprocket, and go in counterclockwise manner to install it: Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric, I can't lock the tentioner,but I can't get the belt even around the tentioner to start with. Have done everything you said already butcan't get the belt to go on the tentioner with it wond back
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, can you give me the belt size it states it is on the box, or measure it and give me the length of the belt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Napa Belt 250265 55.5 '' round Max out belt tentioner all the way without locking in can't get the timming belt on the tentioner pully. If I could get it on the tentioner pully tentioner will be maxed out with tention.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, that is definitely the correct belt.

The only reason it will not fit is either you are not rotating the tensioner enough, which may be the case as you state that you cannot get it to lock in position with an allen wrench in the pinhole as shown in the diagram, or the tensioner is broken, not allowing it to rotate enough to lock in position.

I have done at lease 40 of these engine timing belts, and the only time I could not get the tensioner to lock is when it was broken. Otherwise I have never had a problem locking it in position and installing the belt.

At this point, you can take the tensioner off and then put it in a bench vise and soak with wd40 and try to get it to rotate further, or go ahead and replace the tensioner.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.