Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 Chrysler Sebring, Convertible 2.5. 188,000 miles No start.

Customer Question

2000 Chrysler Sebring, Convertible 2.5. 188,000 miles No start. No spark, good cranking, distributor replaced already, ASD relay checked, all fuses good.

This problem was sudden. Ran to park in garage then would not restart next day. Car has previously had 2 distributors...now on third. Runs great and engine sounds good when running. Had excellent oil change history and maintenance history

Thanks for any help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Have you checked to see if asd relay clicks when turning key? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, but we did replace that relay from another car that I have as a parts car. The replacement relay appears good ....we will now check that relay for 100% verification that it is good.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok...also check black/red wire at distributor for power while cranking..Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do, Thanks Dan...back in a bit.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ASD relay click nicely when key is turned. Question: What is best method of getting to the Red / Black wire on dist.? ..Do we need to move plemumm and EGR pipe
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
You should be able to get at it without removing anything, been awhile since I been under the hood of this engine....also make sure black wire has good ground, Connect a test light to battery positive. With the probe end of the test light, momentarily tap the red/green wire at pin 6 and this should cause coil to fire. If there is spark out of coil but not distributor replace distributor...These vehicles have alot of problems with distributors. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Distributor has already been replaced...

There are 2 harnesses going to distributor...one is smaller than the other. Which one do we work with? There seems to be no access to distributor without removing air intake plenum & EGR pipe. Is the harness in question a harness that plugs directly in to the dist?...or to power distribution center?...Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Power is on small connector, here is a wire diagram that shows what connectors look like along with power/ground, and ignition trigger signal which comes from pcm. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, thanks.

If everything tests out good next step is to test crankshaft position sensor.

http://db.tt/Ew8t6v6e

CKP Sensor Digital

Range
Supply Voltage (Volts-DC)7.5 - 9.2
Ground Level (Volts-DC)0.001 - 0.05
Signal State Backprobed High (Volts-DC)4 - 5
Signal State Backprobed Low (Volts-DC)0 - 1
Signal Circuit Reference Open Circuit (Volts-DC)4.8 - 5.2
Notes: To check the "Signal State", rotate the engine by hand, or "bump" the engine over with the starter while observing the voltage,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cool, we're on it. Will write back in a bit..... Any tips on an easy access to small connector...looks like there's only one way to get to it and that is by removing a lot of parts...We thought the crank positions sensor was involved here one way or another.
Thanks again...be back soon
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, sounds good. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
H i Again

How do we test for spark out of coil as coil is internal in distributor?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
You will need to remove distributor cap and check for spark where rotor connects. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Here are testing instructions from book.

http://db.tt/Y0JkRkB6
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Excellent, Dan, Thanks...we're on it ....will be back in touch asap.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still identifying the actual problem we originally had. The tech is good. He's leading us in the right direction with the right procedures. We just need to accomplish everything he's asked us to in order to know where to go next.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good..Seems like your replying to a automated emai?l. Let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dan, yes, they sent us an automated questions about your performance...which is great.

But can we carry over our problem to tomorrow? It might be that long befor we can get to the coil, test it etc.

Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
What type of questions did they ask lol? I'm just curious. But ya, let me know tomorrow if you have questions...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Questions revolved around whether or not you were answering in a timely manner and if you seemed knowledgeable...We answer Yes to all.

Thanks, I;ll be back in touch in the AM after we tear this apart and get to the parts we need to test.

Thanks again!
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Cool, thanks..Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dan

Back at it. Are we testing for power at Distributor...or at harness? We have no power from harness pins 11 & 12 with negative ground with power on.

Is 6/12 automotive LED test light adequate to test voltage?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If pin 11 has no power thats the issue...Check to see if black/red wire leaving asd relay has power with key cranking if it has voltage at relay but not distributor splice in a new wire...or trace wire for poor connections/breaks. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot find the black/red wire. the wire to pin 12 is aqua with a red tracer could that be the wire in question? I now have the main harness junction apart (bolted to thermostat housing)and can hopfully see most wires.also there is only one wire to the pin 11&12 plug again that is aqua with a red tracer
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
My wire diagram may be incorrect...Whatever color wire is at pin 11 of distributor is the same color wire comming from relay so check to see if rela is putitng out power and if so check wiring between relay and and distributor. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do i need to remove the power distribution box to get @ the relay I have traced the wire in question back to a connector and there is still no power to that wire from the asd side. the only way to get @ the bottom of the relay where the wires enter seems to be to remove the power distribution box is threr another way to get @ it to test.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is correct...At ASD relay two of the terminals should have voltage..i would also swap relay with another one just incase thats the problem. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have swaped the relay with another and it clicks when the ignition is turned on . can I use continuity testor and probe contacts for the asd relay w/o taking out the whole power distribution box ? if so do you know which relay terminal goes to distributer power wire?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Jumping terminal 87 to terminal 30 should pass power...Make sure two terminals are relay have voltage...Then if jumping power doesnt help it sounds like a wiring problem or possibly a bad fusebox. Let me know what you find, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
with pins 87 &30 jumped it does pass power to the wire in question. can the relay click and still be bad? is there a good way to test relay?which terminals should have voltage 87 and?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
If you already swapped relay with another one and that didnt help then relay is not problem...especially if jumping terminals and it still didnt pass power..make sure one of the terminals either 87 or 30 have power..If so you know power is making it to relay and problem is either fusebox or wiring between relay and distirbutor. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
jumping pin 87 & 30 does pass power to pin 12 (distributer wire )I have continuity from pin 30 to pin 12
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if jumping power passes it but it doesnt have power while trying to start with relay installed definitly sounds like a bad relay. ...See if it starts with relay jumped. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
with pin 87 & 30 jumped it will crank but not start
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Do you have spark? Check to see if you if you have power to distributor while cranking vehicle...things are getting confusing now as we probably jumped around a little more then we should have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan I have to go to work now and I will get back soon I will check for spark and for power when cranking I will need someone to help me with that . back soon
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes when you get a chance. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am back there is no spark when cranking with ete relay in (asd) or with pin 30 & 87 jumped ( no spark when cranking either way
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
How was coil resistance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did not test that I got going on the asd jumping thread I will go and do that now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Primary Coil resistence is .08
secondary Coil Resistense is 15.8
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, see if coil will fire when doing testlight trick as instructed above...If so you can make sure camshaft position senosr built into distributor has good power and is producting good signal...If not replace...If so and coil is firing make sure pcm is sending signal to distirbutor and if so replace distributor again...You can get a used one from www.car-parts.com to save money. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
should I TAP PIN 6 ON THE DISTRIBUTER OR ON THE HARNESS PLUG? HOW WILL I KNOW IF THE COIL FIRES ? WILL i HEAR IT ? OR DO I NEED TO HAVE THE CAP OFF AND RUN A WIRE INTO THE TERMINAL ? OR WITH THE CAP OFF NOTE WHICH PLUG SHOULD BE FIRING AND PUT CAP BACK ON AND PUT A SCREWDRIVER IN THE PLUG WIRE NEXT TO METAL
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Just point the rotor at one wire so when you tap the coil the one wire distributor is pointed at will fire..Thats probably the easiest way. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.