sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I received a "badkey" message when I put my key fob in the

I received a "badkey" message when I put my key fob in the ignition. The motor will not turn over. I have lights and all the power buttons work, but the car is "locked down". Bought a new battery, not the problem - had to have my car towed home.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you tried a second key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a second key. I do have the "emergency" key located inside the key fob, and while it inserts into the ignition, it doesn't turn the motor over.

If you don't have a second key to try then a dealer level scan tool is going to be needed to diagnose the problem. Either the key you are using has failed and will need to be replaced, or the wireless ignition node (WIN) has failed and needs to be replaced. The WIN is the module in the dash that reads the transponder in the key and allows the engine to start and run.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why does the emergency key that is in the fob not work in the ignition
Because there is no transponder in it and it's not meant to work in the ignition. It's not an ignition key, it's purpose is only to unlock the door in the event of battery or key fob failure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any idea how much it would cost to do either job

Replacing the key or the WIN will run about $150-200 depending on the labor rate of the dealer doing the work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So last question. Does it have to go to the dealer or can my mechanic do the work
If your mechanic has a scan tool that is capable of doing the programming and can obtain the code from a Chrysler dealer for the programming then he can do it. Many shops don't have factory scan tools (they run in the area of $4-5,000 for each manufacturer) so you'll want to call ahead and see if they have the capability before towing the van to them.