Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

2006 PT CRUISER: IT STOP RUNNING ON the hwy..HORN

WE HAVE A 2006 PT CRUISER. YESTERDAY WHILE DRIVING, IT STOP RUNNING ON THE HWY. THE HORN , LIGHTS, RADIO ALL CONTINUE TO WORK. TODAY THE MECHANIC SAYS ITS THE BROKEN TIMING CHAIN
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

how many miles are on it?

are you wanting to know if this is likely the problem or want a price quote on repair, or some other specific question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

100,000

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, you are 10,000 miles overdue for the timing belt replacement. Factory maintenance schedule states to replace it every 90,000 miles. Any mileage over that, you are on borrowed time. It is quite normal for it to break anytime after 90,000 miles.

This is an interference engine, which means that there is a great degree of chance that the engine valves were bent and damaged when the timing belt broke. This will require replacement of the cylinder head as well if the valves were bent.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
hi,

maintenance schedule(which is in your owner's manual):

graphic
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.