Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

special: diagrams..etc., for removing the dash..evaporator..compressor

Can you send instructions, diagrams, pictures, etc., for removing the dash in order to replace the A/C evaporator? Also, any special tools that I might need to aquire?

I replaced the compressor & dryer, myself, a couple of years ago; so I know how to do A/C work. I may need to replace the Body Computer, also, so this might be a good opportunity to do that, too. If I do replace the computer, is it a pretty safe bet to replace it with one obtained from a Pull-Apart junk yard? Would I have to reset it or anything?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

These are the steps for removing the instrument panel from your vehicle. The service info does not show any diagrams mixed in with this info so if you need something in particular you will have to let me know and I will have to search for it.

1. Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote battery post
  2. Remove one allen screw to shifter knob.
  3. Remove left and right instrument panel end covers

NOTE: On LHS / 300M vehicles, the center bezel must be removed prior to the shifter bezel.

4. Using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755), gently pry up on shifter bezel, disconnect two wire connectors , one illumination bulb socket and remove.
  5. Remove two screws from lower instrument panel cover (outside end) and disconnect decklid release switch wiring connector. Pull rearward on lower instrument panel cover releasing clips. Remove cable to brake release handle. Pull rearward and remove cover from vehicle.
  6. On six passenger vehicles, remove the lower floor bin and proceed with Step 12.
  7. On five passenger vehicles, use trim stick to gently remove center bezel. Disconnect wire harnesses connected to hvac control and traction control switch.
  8. Remove bezel from vehicle.
  9. Remove two screws to left console side cover, pull outboard and remove from vehicle.
  10. Lower glove box door. Remove two screws to right console side cover, pull outboard and remove from vehicle
  11. Remove two front bracket screws and two screws inside console bin to remove console.
  12. Remove two nuts attaching center lower instrument panel.
  13. Remove four bolts to steel reinforcement from bottom of lower instrument panel cover and disconnect 16-way Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) from steel reinforcement.
  14. Remove steering column from vehicle. Refer to Steering for Removal and Installation procedures.
  15. Disconnect under column duct section and remove from vehicle.
  16. Remove one screw to left floor duct/silencer pad and remove from vehicle.
  17. Disconnect two harness connectors to the hvac housing, the Airbag Control Module (ACM) and three ground eyelets left of the floor tunnel near the bulkhead.
  18. Using a trim stick, gently pry out on the left and right A-pillar trim moldings, and slide rearward to remove.
  19. Using a trim stick, gently pry up on the instrument panel top cover and remove toward the rear of vehicle.
  20. Using a trim stick, gently pry out on left and right scuff plates and remove from vehicle.
  21. Remove three screws to right side cowl panel and remove from vehicle.
  22. Remove three screws to left side cowl panel and remove from vehicle.
  23. Remove right side under dash silencer/pad.
  24. Disconnect the two right side harness connectors to radio antenna and amplifier DIN cable.
  25. Disconnect the left side harness connectors to junction block and Body Control Module (BCM)
  26. Disconnect the wire connectors to the fuseblock.
  27. Remove eight remaining instrument panel retaining screws to body.
  28. Pull rearward on instrument panel.
  29. Make sure that all harnesses are free and clear from snagging.
  30. With the help of an assistant, remove instrument panel from vehicle and place on bench.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This information might be enough, but are you able to provide pictures or drawings? Some of the designations are pretty ambiguous.Also, it refers to Steering Removal and Installation procedures. I certainly don't want to get all the way to this point and not be able to proceed for lack of further instruction.
Here's the info for removing the column. as I mentioned, pics are a bit scarce for these 99's, so if there is something in particular that you get stumped on, I can see if they show anything.

1. Remove remote ground cable from ground stud on shock tower and isolate ground cable from vehicle by installing isolator on stud
  2. Remove the fuse panel cover from the left end of the instrument panel
  3. Remove the 2 screws behind the fuse panel cover, attaching the lower instrument panel cover to the instrument panel mounting bracket
  4. Remove the lower instrument panel cover. The lower instrument panel cover is attached by retaining clips along the top and right edge.
  5. Remove the wiring harness connector from the trunk release switch in the lower instrument panel cover
  6. Remove the park brake release cable, from the park brake release handle in the lower instrument panel cover
  7. Remove the 4 bolts mounting the reinforcement to the instrument panel. Remove the reinforcement from the instrument panel. Remove the diagnostic connector from the reinforcement
  8. Before beginning removal of steering column assembly from vehicle, be sure front wheels of vehicle are in the STRAIGHT AHEAD position.
  9. Remove the speed control switches from the steering wheel. The speed control switches are mounted to the steering wheel by two screws (one screw, each switch) which are accessible from the back side of the steering wheel

NOTE: Wait for a minimum of 2 minutes before starting to remove airbag from steering wheel. This will allow the airbag system capacitor to de-energize.

WARNING: WHEN AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG ASSEMBLY IS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE STEERING WHEEL, DISCONNECT BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND ISOLATE. ALLOW SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE FOR TWO MINUTES, THEN BEGIN AIRBAG REMOVAL.

WARNING: WHEN HANDLING AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG MODULE DURING SERVICING OF THE STEERING COLUMN THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE OBSERVED. AT NO TIME SHOULD ANY SOURCE OF ELECTRICITY BE PERMITTED NEAR THE INFLATOR ON THE BACK OF THE AIRBAG MODULE. WHEN CARRYING A LIVE MODULE, THE TRIM COVER SHOULD BE POINTED AWAY FROM THE BODY TO MINIMIZE INJURY IF MODULE ACCIDENTLY DEPLOYS. IF AIRBAG MODULE IS PLACED ON A BENCH OR OTHER SURFACE, PLASTIC COVER SHOULD BE FACE UP TO MINIMIZE MOVEMENT IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

10. Remove the 2 bolts attaching the airbag module to the steering wheel
  11. Remove the airbag module from the steering wheel.
  12. Remove the connector lock from the airbag electrical lead connectorConnector lock is removed by pulling it straight out of the airbag connector. Do not twist the connector lock when removing it from the airbag.
  13. Disconnect the electrical connector from the back of the airbag module. Connector is removed by pulling it straight out of the airbag module. Do not twist the connector when removing it from the airbag
  14. Remove the horn switch wire from the clockspring horn wire.
  15. Remove the steering wheel attaching nut from the steering column shaft

CAUTION: When installing wheel puller on steering wheel, be sure puller bolts are fully seated in the threaded holes in the steering wheel. If bolts are not fully seated in the threaded holes, threads may be stripped out when removing the steering wheel.

16. Install Puller on steering wheel as shown

CAUTION: Do not bump or hammer on steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing steering wheel from steering column.

17. Remove steering wheel from steering column shaft

NOTE: The upper shroud on this steering column is retained to the steering column by a snap fit to the lower shroud. When removing the upper shroud from the steering column lower shroud, DO NOT use a hard or sharp tool. This will damage the shrouds. If a tool must be used, use a soft tool such as a trim stick.

18. Remove the steering column upper shroud from the steering column using the following procedure. First, on the right seam between the upper and lower shrouds, push in on seam at the forward end. When the upper shroud unsnaps, pull the upper shroud upward away from the lower. Repeat this procedure on the opposite side of the column to release the upper shroud from the lower. Remove the upper shroud from the steering column.
  19. Remove the tilt lever from the steering column
  20. Remove the 2 screws attaching the lower shroud to the steering column
  21. Remove the lower shroud from the steering column
  22. Remove the wiring harness connectors from the clockspring
  23. Remove the 2 screws mounting the clockspring to the steering column. Remove the clockspring from the steering column
  24. Disconnect the wire harness connector at the SKIM module. Remove the mounting screw and unclip the module from the key cylinder halo bezel.
  25. Remove the wiring harness from the routing clip on the top of the multi-function switch. Remove the 2 screws mounting the multi-function switch to the steering column. Remove the multi-function switch, with the wiring harness attached, from the steering column
  26. Remove the 2 screws mounting the ignition switch to the steering column. Remove the ignition switch, with the wiring harness attached, from the steering column
  27. If the vehicle is equipped with a floor mounted shifter, depress the locking tab on the shifter/ignition interlock cable and remove the cable from the key lock housing
  28. If the vehicle is equipped with a steering column mounted shifter, remove the shift cable from the shifter mechanism. Unlock the cable lock, then, the shift cable is removed by inserting a screwdriver between the shift cable and the shifter mechanism and prying the cable off the pin
  29. Remove the shift cable mounting bracket from the steering column. The shift cable mounting bracket is mounted to the steering column by the 2 mounting screws
  30. Remove the 2 air ducts from under the steering column
  31. Remove retaining pin in steering column coupler pinch bolt
  32. Remove the pinch bolt from the steering column coupler. The pinch bolt nut is caged to coupler and is not removable. Separate the steering column flex coupler from steering intermediate shaft
  1. Remove the 2 steering column upper mounting bracket to support bracket nuts Then loosen the 2 bolts attaching the steering column lower mounting bracket to support bracket
  2. Remove the steering column from the support bracket by pulling it rearward, then out of the car.