Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

I change out the ignition lock cylinder, on my 1996 chrysler cirrus

how do I change out the ignition lock cylinder, on my 1996 chrysler cirrus
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

These are the steps you need to take when changing the lock cylinder.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative cable from auxillary jumper terminal.
  2. Remove upper steering column shroud.
  3. Pull lower shroud down far enough to access lock cylinder retaining tab.
  4. Place key cylinder in RUN position. Depress retaining tab and remove key cylinder

INSTALLATION

1. Install key in lock cylinder. Turn key to run position (retaining tab on lock cylinder can be depressed)
  2. The shaft at the end of the lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To align the socket with the lock cylinder, ensure the socket is in the Run position
  3. Align the lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the lock cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.
  4. Turn the key to the Off position. Remove the key.
  5. Install steering column shrouds.
  6. Connect negative cable to auxillary battery terminal on shock tower
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could not remove upper steering column shroud. upper and lower will not move
Ok, there are screws from the underside holding the 2 halves together. Remove the screws and then gently separate the 2 halves...........they snap together.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks I will look for the screws. are they straight or Phillips head screws.
They should be Phillips.
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified