brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2003 town and country. wont crank. starter relay click.

2003 town and country. won't crank. starter relay click. no 12 volts on pin 30 or 86. switched out starter relay with accessary and still no luck. before it would start if you kept turning the key off and on, now nothing.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If no voltage on terminal 30 then check fuse number 9 in the fuse box under the hood
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they are not numbered. they have abbreviations
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
It is the 40 amp fuse between the starter relay and accessory relay
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All 40's are good. Remember I said that it was starting with the 6 or 7 turn of the key leading me to beleive a bad connection. but I can't find anything. I am saying no 12 volts because I jumped pins 30 and 86 and got nothing. I unfortunately do not have my multimeter right now.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
OK......what if you jump terminals 30 to 87 will it start then? Make sure in park when doing this!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yep that did it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago. now jump terminals 86 and 87 and then with them jumped turn the key to the crank position and see if the starter turns.......again make sure in park
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it cranked
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago. you know the ignition switch is good, the relay is good, the starter is good. Now your down to the switch in the transmission and the powertrain control module. If you have not tried to start it in neutral try this. Otherwise will need a scan tool and volt meter to determine which one has failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried this no go
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
ok......will need some test equipment then to determine if the switch in the transmission needs replaced or the powertrain control module needs replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will get multimeter. do I need diagnostic tool? Also where are these parts and can I get to them without taking the whole top of the motor apart. I will pay you for what you have helped me with so far. You're sure it's one or the other? Please describe and maybe I'll just replace both if they don't cost too much. Just got two feet of snow. This will be fun!
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
The diagnostic tool will tell you if the transmission is in neutral or park as it has to be in these positions for the powertrain control module to ground the starter relay. Most likely the transmission switch is the cause of the problem. The switch is called a transmission range sensor and you have to drop the pan of the transmission and then remove the valve body to gain access to it to replace it. The part is only about $36.00 but takes around 1 1/2 hours to replace
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah fun!!! Alright man, I think I will go with that. I don't have access to the diag. tool but what you say makes sense. Just wish it was external. Thank you very much.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No worries......

Good Luck!