Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified 0ver 25 years. Dealership, independant experience Bubmer to Bumper all makes/models
12331040

garage all night..new battery is completely dead the next morning

2001 PT CRUISER.
New battery, everything perfect.
Left in the garage all night. Ignition off
The new battery is completely dead the next morning?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. You may have a parasitic ignition off draw happening in your Pt cruiser. This means that a controller or computer is not turning off completely when the ignition is off. What needs to be done is to have an auto electric shop or the dealer connect an ammeter to the vehicle and isolate which component is still drawing current when the key is off. Most qualified shops should be able to find this within an hour or so. Once the controller is found to be the cause of this then replacing it should take care of this ignition off draw problem.

Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You offered no way to diagnose the problem.

If I read between the lines it says "Take it to a dealer" $$$

Not real satisfied with the answer.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Well if you have a digital ammeter I can tell you how to diagnose this yourself.
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wish you had included that in your diagnose.Now it's $500 at the dealer.
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

I am not sure if the vehicle is still in your possession, but if it is, here are the steps and a diagram to assist you. If you have any question with what I have here, please ask.

***** AMP DRAW TEST DVOM ******

Using a digital multi meter, key off and out if ignition, hood bulb unplugged or removed, do the following.

1. Put on safety glasses, Batteries can be explode.

2. Remove negative battery cable.

3. Hook negative lead of meter to negative battery terminal

4. Hook positive lead of meter to negative battery cable.

5. Turn on Meter to AMP test, and open a door. This will test your connection. The
meter should show between 2 to 7 AMPS.

6. shut the door and leave alone for 15 minutes. Now, if the meter reads more
than .020 miliamps, you have a draw.

At that point, systematically remove one fuse at a time and replace until the
draw disappears. That is your system at fault.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finally the answer I was looking for.

Too late, but the right answer.

Will probably use it in a future troubleshoot.

Thanks

Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Mike. Once a question is locked w/ an expert, I cant answer until an opt out or re list.
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified 0ver 25 years. Dealership, independant experience Bubmer to Bumper all makes/models