garrtim, service manager
Experience:  20+ years chrysler certified

Pt cruiser: stalls..slowing down..This problem also occurs..Sebring

pt cruiser stalls when slowing down or turning. A google search showed this problem to be pretty rampant. This problem also occurs in the Sebring. My guess is that the onboard computer is kaput or the sensors are aging badly. The people who have written about this problem are extremely concerned for the safety of themselves and others. No one has been able to supply a definitive solution. I suppose if the Cruiser and the Sebring use the same onboard system, so it could be a manufaturing glitch. Complaints came from people having as many as 180k to as few as 15k miles on the vehicle. The problem has shown up in models from 2001 to 2007. Apparently, disconnecting the battery for a bit temporarily solves the problem, but then it comes back fully soon after. Also, the problem is deteriorative. It's gotten much worse over time. The first occurance was 1 year ago. Some people report having gotten the diagnostic done and nothing showed up. Plus it's too clean a stall to be a fuel line issue.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  garrtim replied 5 years ago.

garrtim :

hello, what happens to these cars- is that overtime the throttlebody will get carboned up and restrict the minimum airflow-- this action will result in a stall when letting off of the gas when coimg to a stop or letting off throttle in a turn if the minimum airflow is restricted enough-- the computer monitors and remembers the adaptive fuel control-- so it will try to compensate for this condition over time-- the required maitenance to eliminate this concern is to-- every six months -clean the throttlebody air intake and also reset the computer to factory defaults by battery disconnect --the computer will monitor and remember your driving habits as well--another thing that i have seen improve this condition is the additive of fuel injection cleaner to the fuel every so often

garrtim :

different quality of fuels can lead to this condition happening more often as well as a dirty air filter

Thank you very much for your input. I am due to take my car to be serviced tomorrow and will give the seervice folks your iinformation. It does make sense and I hope it works or I'mm lookiing for another car!

Thank you very much for your input. I am due to take my car to be serviced tomorrow and will give the service folks your information. I started having this trouble about 6 months after I started using Kroger and Sheetz gas. I stopped using that gas and went to Shell and Exxon and things got better for a while, but over the past few weeks, it has gottenprogressively worse.

garrtim :

ok-- please let me know-- if you are all set -please click the accept button -- if further info is required -please let me know,tim