Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2006 PT Cruiser: instrument cluster..lights come..gauges..minute drive

My 2006 PT Cruiser's instrument cluster has all the lights come on and the gauges go dead for no particular reason while driving it. It always stops, but will happen 10 times in a 10-minute drive. Any idea on what the problem is?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. It sounds like the guage assembly has failed, you will need to monitor power/grounds on the guage when probelm happens and have good replace the guage assembly which is about a $450 job at dealership. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's good info - one question: if I'm a fairly handy guy, would you recommend buying and installing the new gauge cluster myself? Is it a front-of-the-dash operation or do I have to go through the firewall?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You could buy a used cluster and install yourself with about the same mileage...Otherwise a new one needs to be reprogrammed at dealership. You need to install it through the front dash. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.