Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chrysler pt cruiser how to change front wheel bearings

Customer Question

how to change front wheel bearings
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

tim's auto repair :

hi

tim's auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tim's auto repair :

Wheel Bearings

• ADJUSTMENT

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

On all vehicles covered by this manual, the front wheel bearings are sealed units, and lubrication is not possible.

Adjustment

The front wheel bearings are sealed, no adjustment is necessary or possible.

Removal & Installation

NOTE

The hub and bearing are pressed into the knuckle and the bearing cannot be reused once the hub has been removed.

1. With the vehicle on the ground, remove the front axle nut.

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the steering knuckle.

3. Clamp the upper knuckle-to-strut bolt boss in a vice.

4. Install the special press tool onto the hub as shown and press the hub out of the bearing.

5. If the inner bearing race stayed on the hub, clamp the hub in a vise and use a bearing puller to remove it.

6. On the knuckle, remove the splash shield and internal snap-rings from the bearing housing.

7. After removing the snap-ring, the same press tool can be used to push the bearing out of the knuckle.

8. Clean the bearing housing and hub with a wire brush and inspect all parts. Replace parts that have been distorted or discolored from heat. If the hub is not absolutely prefect where it contacts the inner bearing race, the new bearing will fail quickly.

To install:

1. The new bearing is pressed in from the hub side using a regular arbor press. Install the snap-ring and support the steering knuckle on the press.

2. Using the old bearing as a press tool, press the new bearing into the housing up against the snap-ring. Be sure the press tool contacts only the outer race of the bearing.

3. Install the outer snap-ring and splash shield. If removed, install the speed sensor rotor onto the hub.

4. Support the inner race on the press and press the hub into the bearing. Be sure the inner race is supported or the bearing fail quickly.

5. Install the steering knuckle and be sure to tighten the axle nut correctly before allowing the vehicle to roll.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.

2. Loosen the halfshaft retaining bolt.

3. Remove or disconnect:

Front wheel. ABS wheel speed sensor. Caliper bracket mounting bolts, then the rotor. Brake splash guard.

4. Loosen the mounting nuts for the lower guide and track links.

5. Remove or disconnect:

Tie rod end from the wheel bearing housing. Mounting nuts for the lower guide and track links and press out the joints. Upper control arm pinchbolt and disconnect the arms. Wheel bearing housing.

6. Place the wheel bearing housing on a press.

7. Drive out the hub with the wheel bearing.

8. Using a bearing separator and press, drive hub out of the bearing.

To install:

tim's auto repair :
FIG : Exploded view of the front wheel bearing housing-Passat

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

1. Press the new wheel bearing into the bearing housing using the appropriate bearing driver.

2. Press the hub into the wheel bearing using the appropriate bearing driver.

3. Install the wheel bearing housing.

4. Slide the CV-joint through the wheel hub and hand-tighten the new nut.

5. Install or connect:

Lower track control and guide link. New self-locking nut: 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm). Both of the upper link ball joints into the wheel bearing. Pinchbolt: 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm). Tie rod end. New self-locking nut: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Bolt: 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm). ABS wheel speed sensor. Brake splash guard. Retaining bolts: 84 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Brake rotor. Brake caliper. Retaining bolt: 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm). Wheels. Lug bolts: 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).

6. Tighten the halfshaft retaining bolt as follows:

If equipped with a M14 bolt, tighten to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) plus12 If equipped with a M16 bolt, tighten to 140 ft. lbs. (190 Nm) plus12

7. Check the front suspension alignment, if necessary, adjust.

NOTE

If either the hub or the wheel bearing are removed, the wheel bearing must be replaced.

1. Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the bearing housing (knuckle) from the vehicle.

3. Remove any installed shields and/or brackets as necessary.

4. Place the bearing housing (knuckle) onto suitable press plates in a hydraulic press making sure the housing is completely level, and press the wheel hub out of the bearing housing (knuckle).

5. On 1990-97 Passat models, using a sturdy and suitable snap ring pliers, remove the snap ring from the bearing housing (knuckle).

6. Support the bearing housing (knuckle) on suitable press plates and press the bearing out off the housing.

7. Remove the inner race of the wheel bearing from the hub using a suitable and sturdy puller, such as KUKKO® Tool No. 240-1. If necessary, wedge the bearing race upward slightly by wedging a chisel between the bearing and a hub alternately from side-to-side. Once the bearing race is removed, if necessary, dress the area on the hub with a suitable flat-faced file.

tim's auto repair :
FIG : The 1990-97 Passat models have a sturdy snap ring that must be removed before the bearing is pressed out

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :
FIG : The wheel bearing is pressed into the bearing housing (knuckle) and the hub is pressed into the bearing

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :

To install:

1. Thoroughly inspect the bearing housing (knuckle) and the hub and remove any burrs. If necessary, slightly chamfer the outer perimeter of the housing.

2. Place the bearing housing (knuckle) on suitable press plates in a hydraulic press.

3. While supporting the bearing housing, press the bearing into the housing.

4. On 1990-97 Passat models;

1. Install a new snap ring.

2. If the hub is being replaced, make sure to install the tone ring for the ABS brake system BEFORE pressing the hub into the bearing.

5. Support the inner bearing race of the wheel bearing, and press the hub into the bearing until it is fully seated.

6. The balance of installation is in reverse order of removal.

On all vehicles covered by this manual, the front wheel bearings are sealed units, and lubrication is not required, or necessary.

NOTE

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. With the vehicle on the ground, remove the front axle nut.

3. Remove the steering knuckle.

4. Clamp the upper knuckle-to-strut bolt boss in a vice.

5. Install the special press tool onto the hub as shown and press the hub out of the bearing.

6. If the inner bearing race stayed on the hub, clamp the hub in a vise and use a bearing puller to remove it.

7. On the knuckle, remove the splash shield and internal snaprings from the bearing housing.

8. After removing the snapring, the same press tool can be used to push the bearing out of the knuckle.

9. Clean the bearing housing and hub with a wire brush and inspect all parts. Replace parts that have been distorted or discolored from heat. If the hub is not absolutely prefect where it contacts the inner bearing race, the new bearing will fail quickly.

tim's auto repair :

SORRY
delete the info above

tim's auto repair :

this is for a volkswagon

tim's auto repair :

here is the directions for your cruiser

tim's auto repair :

PT Cruiser 2006-2007

Wheel Bearings

• ADJUSTMENT

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Adjustment

The PT Cruiser is equipped with a sealed hub and bearing assemblies. The hub and bearing assembly is non-serviceable. If the assembly is damaged, the complete unit must be replaced.

Removal & Installation

2. Remove the steering knuckle and hub and bearing assembly.

3. Remove the wheel lug stud from the hub flange, using a C-clamp and Adapter Tool 4150A.

4. Rotate the hub to align the removed lug stud with the notch in the bearing retainer plate.

tim's auto repair :
FIG : Use a proper C-clamp and adapter tool to press out one of the lug studs

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :
FIG : Rotate the hub in order to remove the lug stud

image
Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :
  • Rotate the hub so the stud hole is facing away from the brake caliper lower rail on the steering knuckle.

• Install 1 / 2 of a Bearing Splitter Tool 1130, between the hub and the bearing retainer plate. The threaded hole in this 1 / 2 is to be aligned with the caliper rail on the steering knuckle.

• Install the remaining pieces of the bearing splitter on the steering knuckle. Hand-tighten the nuts to hold the splitter in place on the knuckle.

• When the bearing splitter is installed, be sure the 3 bolts attaching the bearing retainer plate to the knuckle are contacting the bearing splitter. The bearing retainer plate should not support the knuckle or contact the splitter.

• Place the steering knuckle in a hydraulic press, supported by the bearing splitter.
  • tim's auto repair :
    FIG : Properly support the steering knuckle for hub and bearing removal

image
    Full Size Image

tim's auto repair :
  • Position a driver on the small end of the hub. Using the press, remove the hub from the wheel bearing. The outer bearing race will come out of the wheel bearing when the hub is pressed out of the bearing.

• Remove the bearing splitter tool from the knuckle.

• Remove the 3 bolts mounting the bearing retainer plate to the steering knuckle.

• Place the knuckle in a press supported by the press block. The blocks must not obstruct the bore in the steering knuckle so the wheel bearing can be pressed out of the knuckle. Place a driver on the outer race of the wheel bearing, then press the bearing out of the knuckle.

• Install the bearing splitter on the hub. The splitter is to be installed on the hub so it is between the flange of the hub and the bearing race on the hub. Place the hub, bearing race, and splitter in a press. Use a driver to press the hub out of the bearing race.

•  

To install:

1. Use clean, dry cloth to wipe and grease or dirt from the bore of the steering knuckle.

2. Install a new wheel bearing into the bore of the steering knuckle. Be sure the bearing is placed squarely into the bore.

3. Place the knuckle in a press with a Receiver Tool, C-4698-2 supporting the steering knuckle.

4. Place a driver tool on the outer race of the wheel bearing.

5. Press the wheel bearing into the steering knuckle until it is fully bottomed in the bore of the steering knuckle.

NOTE

Only the original or original equipment replacement bolts should be used for mounting the bearing retainer to the knuckle. If a bolt requires replacement when installing the bearing retainer plate, be sure to get the proper type of replacement.

6. Install the bearing retainer plate on the steering knuckle.

7. Install the 3 bearing retainer mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

8. Install the wheel lug stud into the hub flange.

9. Place the hub with the lug stud installed, in a press supported by an Adapter Tool C-4698-1 and press the wheel lug stud into the hub flange until it is fully seated against the back side on the hub flange.

10. Place the steering knuckle with the wheel bearing installed, in a press with special Receiver Tool MB-990799 supporting the inner race of the wheel bearing.

11. Place the hub in the wheel bearing, making sure it is square with the bearing.

12. Press the hub into the wheel bearing until it is fully bottomed in the wheel bearing.

13. Install the steering knuckle and the wheel.

14. Check and/or adjust the front alignment.

tim's auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
    Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.