Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Chrysler sebring: overheated..cap..guage..coolant is boiling over

the 2.7 litre engine in my chrysler sebring overheated , i changed the thermostat, the tank pressure cap and what is happening is the engine is now indicating a little below mid point on the guage yet the plastic cooling tank for servicing coolant is boiling over.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Are you saying that the temp gauge now reads erratic after replacing the thermostat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no what i am saying is that it heated up before and indicated in the red zone on the guage, i changed the thermostat and the overflow tank pressure cap. now i drive it and the overflow tank boils over but the engine temp guage reads normal
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Does the vehicle have heat inside the cab?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you get my reply
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
I got your first one... I am asking if the vehicle has heat inside the cab now after you replaced thermostat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
to be specific i have not run the heater, i do not have heat that i notice. i am running the a/c because of summer heat
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Your coolant may be low, or there is an air pocket in your cooling system causing a low or not heat situation. You will have to bleed the system. With the engine cold take off the radiator cap and start the motor. as the engine warms up, keep the coolant topped off. the cap should be the highest point int cooling system. If not there will be a bleeder screw that you can open to let out air. Here is a hint, Turn on the heat when the engine is warm, if it is blowing cold, than there is a huge air pocket and the system.
Some vehicles have bleeder screws and some don't. I don't believe yours does. Wait until the engine is cold and then open the hood and take off the radiator cap. If the coolant is low, top it off. Keeping the radiator cap off, start the engine and let it idle until the engine is fully warmed up. Then pick the engine rpm up to about 2000 rpm while keeping the coolant full. Hold the engine rpm up for a few minutes. It will spit back out coolant so be sure to do it away from your nice driveway or use a big bucket to catch the coolant coming out of the neck of the radiator. THis is normal. THis is the air pocket coming to the surface. IT will push out coolant until it burbs. ONce it burps top off the coolant and put the cap on. IT will be messy. Go inside your vehicle and make sure you have full heat at idle. If so, you should be good to go. Take it for a test drive and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i understand what you are saying, how do i get in touch later if this doesn't fix it. I won't be able to do this until later today.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Just respond back to this page and I will get it.

You can always accept my answer now and still respond at any time at no further cost to you.