Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2004 sebring: It wont start

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Seabring. It won't start. When you turn the key on nothing happening. Turn singles don't work, radio won't come on, and wipers don't work. The only thing you hear is the bell for the key, odometer, and oil light. The battery has a full charge, I have changed the ignition switch, check relay, and fuse. What else could cause this problem?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

It sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing you no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done everything except the NPS. However, would the NPS cause none of the AUX, ie radio, wiper, turnsingles not to work? Is there a collision sensor some where that could have gone bad?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
It is possible!

Does the starter have battery voltage on both terminals when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are not getting it. It is like someone has thrown a kill switch. Everything that dosen't need the ignition switch to work works, everything else is dead.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Does the TPS have reference voltage with the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only that light up on the dash when you turn the key on are the check oil light, odometer, and bell for the key being in the switch. When you turn the key to the aux position nothing comes on.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Well this is your problem! Your computer is not even awake! Chances are you are missing a power or a ground to the computer causing it not to wake up. The only other possibility would either be a bad computer or the computer is being shorted out by another computer or a sensor. I would start by checking all powers and grounds going to the PCM. THis includes all powers from all fuses, fusible links and even from the ignition switch.