Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Chrysler Diagnostics

2007 chrysler: will not shift out of park...yes, I have my foot

My 2007 chrysler 300C will not shift out of park...yes, I have my foot on the brake that releases the lock.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

This is actually a HUGE problem for MANY Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. Dodge has issued a Recall (of sorts) that will replace a broken spring clip internal of the shifter mechanism. The shifter will need to be removed and rebuilt. Any Dealer will do this for you absolutely Free. Unfortunately, due to the location of the broken clip, not even the "over-ride" will work.

Here's the official word from Dodge:

Customer Satisfaction Notification K39

Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter.

The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience.

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.