snapontech
snapontech, Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

2004 pt cruiser: loses power when given gas from idle with a/c unit

Customer Question

2004 pt cruiser loses power when given gas from idle with a/c unit on...turn a/c off and it picks up just fine...please help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  snapontech replied 5 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

thanks

snapontech :

Your problem is with the throttle body and the idle control

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

it only does it with the a/c running

snapontech :

Most likely what happened is the throttle body is all full of carbon build up and the idle air control motor is sticking

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

and then if you feather it a little it corrects with the a/c on

snapontech :

the main time the IAC is used is while the AC is on the job is to allow the vehicle to be driven as if you didnt have the ac on

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

Ive cleaned the fuel system and the emission system

snapontech :

So to fix the problem you will want to remove the throttle body assembly and clean it very well

snapontech :

If cleaning it doesnt work you will have to replace the IAC to correct the problem

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

I just put a new IAC on an hour ago

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

still does same thing

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

and Ive ran seafoam thru the system as well

snapontech :

Did you clean the throttle body you have to remove it from the vehicle

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

it sparkles

snapontech :

Thats interesting because the IAC is the only thing that makes a difference when ac is on

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

its just odd it only does it from idle with a/c on/......

snapontech :

Have you done a tune up recently

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

give gas and acts like it loses all power

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

it doesnt do it everytime just most of the time

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

fuel filter, checked fuel pressure, spark plugs wires, test coil pack

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

air filter

snapontech :

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

yes, ran seafoam thru it as well and it was all clear

snapontech :

Ok then replace the throttle position sensor.

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

checked wires

snapontech :

If this doesnt do the trick then you will need to bring it into chrysler have them run a ECM flash on the system

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

but that would be doing it all the time not just part of the time

snapontech :

Thats wrong the TP can cause this

snapontech :

Its either that or the ECM needs to be reprogrammed

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

chrysler has looked at it twice and they cant figure it out either...im stuck out in cold...lol

snapontech :

Then it has to be something with the programming of the computer if you have replaced the IAC and know its good and chrysler said its good then it has to be with the programming the idle is having a conflict when AC is on unless the compressor is bad and just dogging the engine down then the IAC should have no problem

snapontech :

Taking care of the load

snapontech :

I dont understand why you would come on here then leave in the middle of this chat.

snapontech :

I am trying my best to help you out here

snapontech :

You have to think of the basics of the operation if the system is not doing what it should then there has to be a reason if this is only when the AC is active then it has to be a problem with the AC system causing a short or the IAC if these are good then it has to be within the software not allowing to run properly. Like you said it would do it all the time if it was something else.

snapontech :

I believe 100% the problem is a short in the PCM

snapontech :

There is no other explanation for the actions and the codes you have with the computer. I have actually verified this with another one of my co workers we went in and did some checking this is actually the PCM shorting out causing everything. You can easily get a replacement from www.car-parts.com then install the unit and the problem is solved.

snapontech :

Let me know if you have any other questions. If your not satisfied please let me know but if this was useful please take a moment to kindly press the green ACCEPT button in the lower right hand corner so I get credit for my time and effort. Thanks in advance Danny

JACUSTOMER-hblwh950- :

It was non of what you said it was...I had allready tried everything you had told me to try. Im actually dissapointed that if you would have read what I had wrote you would have known this. I figured it out on my own...it wound up being oil had gotten into the cam sensor and it was shorting it out under load. I traced all the wires and checked the voltage and that was where my problem was coming from. And the fact that you told me it was the TPS showed me that you had no idea and was guessing. A TPS just doesnt periodacally work. When it goes out its out. it runs off of a spring and cheap plastic parts. its not going to just work one second and then not the next. Ive been doing this for years as well but I was stumped and was hoping someone had ran into this before so I didnt have to run voltage checks on everything. I do appreciate your effort but I was not satisfied with your answer.

snapontech :

Wow

snapontech :

Sorry cant be perfect I would have found it if It was in front of me..

snapontech :

Glad its working

snapontech :

Atleast this was free so dont worry if I dont fix your problem I dont get paid pretty cool huh thats the risk of my job I try to be right because if not I dont get anything. Thanks so much for your input!