BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

Pt cruiser: timing belt..chrysler..bent valves and piston damage

my timing belt broke on my pt cruiser while i was driving about 60 miles an hour it was taken to a mechanic shop where i left it out of town. It was know secret to me that the timing was broken but i was told by these guys with just a pull of the timing cover, just how much damage could this cause? and I though chrysler,ford ,chevy etc had fixed the problem of timing belt causing bent valves and piston damage when they break.

BigBob :

Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!

JACUSTOMER-5b7sskfj- :

Hi Big Bob I'm in Texas and my car is in Lousiana @ a shop and I have to go tow it back so what kind of damage can this really cause and can a mechanic just come up with oh you just need a new engine>

BigBob :

I just came back from Houston a couple of months ago. This is not an interference engine, but there have been reports of valves bending when the timing belt has broken. I usually put a belt on it and see if it is ok, but you can also do a leak down test to see. This DOES NOT mean you need an engine. Was there some other damage done?

JACUSTOMER-5b7sskfj- :

Not that I know of the car just shut off and the check engine light came on.

BigBob :

I should have said valve to valve bending, not valve to piston.

BigBob :

Most likely you can put a timing belt on it and drive off. But like i said there is a possibility that the valves hit each other and bent. The 2.4 PT Cruiser is not a valve interference engine. Since the belt has broket, the pistons will not be hit on their tops by the valves, but the valves in the engine can hit each other. The only way to tell if this has happened is by performing a compression check on the engine. Most PT cruisers will not experience any internal damage.

JACUSTOMER-5b7sskfj- :

I'm no expert but thats what I thought I experienced timing belts breaking many years ago that it would bend valves piston and damage heads, but that problem had been corrected. Thank Bigbob

BigBob :

No problem! thanks for using just answer!!!!!

BigBob :

Bob

BigBob :

I am very pleased to have helped you - Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need or wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and I am always happy to help further, Bob