Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

The van wont start..light comes..dash board..clicking noise

Customer Question

I am having a recurring problem with my 2006 town and country van. the van won't start. a small red light comes on in the dash board and the van makes a clicking noise, and will not turn over. I brought it to a shop and they couldn't find out what was wrong. the van set for four days and started up again. now it has happend again. can u help me
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

What color ignition key do you have?

Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have a black 3 botton key and dont know if there is any codes in computer but if u r asking if i have to put a code n no i dont
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing when trying to start the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is this one red dot on the dash by speedometer and the temp gagde and the trans. light is staying on also the airbag light is staying on there is also a knocking noise coming from the area of the fuse box but as long as the red dot is on then it wont crank
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
How many volts does the battery have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dont know its the battery that goes with it had the battery checked and it fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
What size engine do you have?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
van on side the road and its a v6
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Did it stall out or just not start all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the first time it just wouldn't start and now it stalled out.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Have you tried using another ignition key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all I have is one that is all they gave me.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. it sounds to me like you could just have a bad sensor/module on board your vehicle causing this issue. IT sounds to me like the PCM is either not waking up or the security system has kicked in for some reason.

Unfortunately, there is no a whole lot you can do with the vehicle on the side of the road. I can walk you through some tests if you would like.. but it sounds to me like you have a bad module on board your vehicle causing this issue.

Just be sure that battery, fuses and connections all check out ok.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than the most truthful most honest information possible. I hope you understand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the pmc and what sensor or module could it be. when i put it in the shop i would like to have some kind idea so they can't get over on me. what kind of tests are they? I am sure they could help me.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
They would use a scanner in order to communicate with the on board modules.

Chances are you are talking about the PCM This is the powertrain control module.
There is also the TCM, SKIM and or SKREEM module. Integrated front module/BCM and even the instrument cluster and air bag module. There are several of them.

Also, they will check your battery voltage with a voltmeter and check to see if your starter motor is getting a signal when turning the key to the crank position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like u to walk me through the test you talked about. A little more information I could tell you to maybe help the situation that i omitted is in trying to start the van my son took all the fuses out of the van on the inside and put them back and the van started and drove for a half of a mile and then it stalled out. forgive me for not telling u that.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
NO problem!

Start by checking for 5 volts at the map sensor with the key on.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do u check the volts. do I need to buy something to check it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YES.. you need a voltmeter to measure voltage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can buy that from a parts store?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You got it!

Or you can purchase it on line like on amazon.com or something like that. You do not need to spend over 30 bucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to get a ride to the parts store, the part is 24.99 and is there any way I can contact u. and is that the only sensor i need to check?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
There will be a serious of tests we are going to run depending on what you find at the tps sensor.

Also, check the battery voltage as well as the voltage at the starter with the key in the crank position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I get in touch with u to let u know?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Just respond back to me on this page and I will get it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
U have been soooo helpful to me!!!!! i really want to thank you for your information. Do I hit the accept button now or when I finish sorting out this problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You can hit the green accept button now and we can still continue our conversation as needed. I will be on line all day today to answer any of your questions.
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what about tommorow. I want to stay talking with u so i don't have to go through this all over again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YES.. I will be on line tomorrow too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok gonna hit the button please don't go away! lol lol I will get back with u when I test the map sensor. Thank you very much. no one has help me like you did. I love this site. Again thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

Thanks for the accept!

I will be looking forward to your reply!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello amedee
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

What have we found?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The map senors read 6volts and the lights lit up
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Is this with the key on?

What wire are you testing for voltage at the map sensor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the key was on and he didn't see a wire he put the volt meter on top of the sensor where would the wire be located?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YES.. there should be three wires going to the map sensor. Only one wire should have 5 volts with the key on. It should not go higher than 5 volts..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is the map sensor located?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
It should be located right in front on top by the intake manifold..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to have it towed because It seem to hard for my son to try to fix but I will let you know what they said it was
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
SOunds good!