Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chrysler 300m special: cranks..wont start, codes

Customer Question

chrysler 300m special 2003 cranks but wont start, codes are p0622,p0660,p0113,p0118,p0073,p0108,p0123,p0335 help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Do you know if the engine has spark when cranking it over?

Does it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
never tried that
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. we got some work to do!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the power steering line was leaking and sprayed fluid everywhere, i repaired that but c tried to clean the alternator and may have sprayed some cleaner into it, when i installed the alternator it would not start and gave about 7 codes reading a high outptu
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You could have just left something loose. I would try clearing the codes and starting from scratch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it wont let me clear the codes, it keepos reading the same codes, actually it added the last one p0335 last time i tried to start it
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
It sounds to me like you might just havea bad cam or crankshaft position sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there a way to test my pcm, i wonder if i sprayed some fluid into the alternator and fried the voltage regulator?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You would need a factory scanner to check the PCM itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, i have sensors from the old engine, we did an engine swap, old was threw a connector rod bearing and previous owner drove it until it seaized, but u think i should try changing the camshaft position sensor?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a good reference voltage at the crank sensor with the key on? If so, what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have purchased a volt/amps/ohms meter, just never used one before, so i can check it, if i figure it out, any idea what my reading should b?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IT will be a solid 7 or 9 volts or something like that. SOme get 5 volts and some get a different voltage readings. THe point here is that we need to make sure that the sensor is getting a signal from the computer with the key on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
alright, i'll check out my sensors and if they r good, i'll pull of the pcm and take it to a shop and have them test it for me, if thats good, i guess i'll b back in touch, thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
NO.. I think you are jumping the gun. We are not checking the sensors. We are checking to see if the PCM is sending the right signal to the sensors. If so, come back and let me know what you find before doing anything else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, so am i disconnecting the neg on batt then disconnect sensor and test the wires coming from the pcm to the sensor? so the sensor would be unplugged?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Are you asking me how to check voltage at the sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if thats what i need to do to see if the pcm is sensing anything to the sensor
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES...

Turn the key on and leave the battery connected. Take the black lead of your voltmeter and put it on the battery negative and then take the read lead of your meter and touch all three wires going to the crank sensor one at a time taking a reading when touching each wire. You can do this at the sensor connector with the sensor unpluged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
k, i am going to try what you suggested but my battery is completely dead and i have to wait to afford a new one, so soon i will continue trouble shooting ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good!

No problem!

Talk to you soon!