Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

Chrysler Sebring JXi (Convertible) what does the red light

Customer Question

what does the red light mean on the dashboard?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Don Knight replied 3 years ago.

Don Knight :

I am not sure about which light you are referring to but if it looks like a battery then you need to get the charging system checked.You also have an air bag,seat belt,brake,oil and temperature that all have red lights.Could you please let me know what simble you have with the red light issue.

Customer:

It's just a red dot. No symbol.

Don Knight :

I am not sure about which light you are refering to so i will opt out and see if another expert can assist you.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you anyway. I'm gonna take it to a dealership in the morning

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 3 years ago.
Good morning!

The red dot you see in the instrument cluster is an indication that the immobilizer or theft system is activated. Causes for this can vary a bit, so this is what to look for.

If you happen to have a grey-colored key, it means that your car is equipped with the Sentry Key system, referred to as SKIM by its acronym. These keys have a transponder chip embedded that is read by the car --and if it's recognized-- will allow engine start. A failed key or failed SKIM module can cause this situation where you have no starter operation, so the easiest thing to try would be a second key if available.

But I'm not certain that the 98 Sebring was equipped with SKIM so we move forward.

Check the small yellow (20 amp) fuses in your underhood fuse block. Bad starters are known for causing the PCM/ fuel pump/ starter relay fuse to blow, which completely derails the start process. If found to be blown, simply replacing the fuse will likely be all that is needed since you've already replaced the starter.

Lack of communication between SKIM, PCM (engine controller) and/ or BCM (body control module) will activate the red flashing dot in the dash as you've seen. Chances are very good that the fuse issue I mentioned will be the cause because the PCM will not be conscious with the fuse blown.

Good luck!
Ed
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist