sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I cannot get my car out of park.

Customer Question

I cannot get my car out of park.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Start the engine, press and hold the brake, and see if it will allow you to move the shifter slightly to the right. If you can then you know the brake/shifter interlock is working ok.

Most likely it will be, and the problem is internal in the shifter. There is a spring loaded plastic arm in the shifter where the ignition interlock cable attaches. This arm often breaks and the shifter won't move from park because it doesn't know you have turned the key on.

This isn't an uncommon problem and there is a recall that covers many 2005-2007 cars. If yours is covered under the recall then it would be repaired for free at your dealer. If it's not covered then the shifter would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did try that and it did not work.

Tried what, moving the shifter slightly to the right? I'm talking a fraction of an inch, so try it again now and take very careful note. Get in and try to move the shifter to the right and you'll find it doesn't move. Then start the engine and press the brake, see if you can move it over very, very slightly. It will be 1/2 inch or less.

There's about a 99% chance that the problem is internal in the shifter and it will need the recall performed or need to be replaced.