Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Tech since 1992 ,Dealer Employed presently.
6216639

2003 pt cruiser: it to fire how do i reset the security system

Customer Question

my security system has shut down my 2003 pt cruiser and i cant get it to fire how do i reset the security system
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

Scott :

Hello , I am Scott

Scott :

Do you have a aftermarket alarm ? is your ignition key a thick security key?

Customer:

hello i am derral and it is the original key from johnson dodge where we bought the car new

Scott :

is it a thick grey or greenish key?

Customer:

no it is black

Scott :

do you have a led blinking under the dash?

Customer:

yes

Scott :

Ok You can try this- Turn the ignition on, reach behind the blinking led and push the button - if it has one - several times , then try and start, or hold it in then try and start , If there is no button behind the led- we may have to disconnect one battery terminal, turn the ignition on - then reconnect the battery , then try and start.

Customer:

the light that is blinking is in the instriment panel

Scott :

ok- Did the engine start and stall acouple of times ?

Customer:

nothe battery went bad and it has been setting up for about aweek and one half and when i replaced the battery it wont do anything bot turnover no fire

Scott :

ok- The computer could of had a glitch - it could have come back on thinking that its equipped with the sentry key system- which uses a thick key that has a chip in it, I would still try the battery disconnect - ignition switch on trick. I will switch over to the Q&A type of form- we can continue there - its automatic ,

Scott :

Ok?

Customer:

ok

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hi- we can continue here if needed. The light thats flashing is just a red dot? do you have any other keys? Thanks Scott,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i will tell my mechanic tomorrow to try this but i would appreciate anymore info that u could give me no i do not have another key only the one from the dealership

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i called my mechanic my key is gray and my remote is black
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
Ok You have a problem with the key or the security module. Try the battery disconnect , and then read the fault codes- These codes will be stored in the skim/ security module and the engine computer , The ones stored in the security module may be invalid key and or base station mismatch , the invalid key means the key needs to be replaced or reprogramed . The base station mismatch indicates the module is corrupted, and need replacement or reprograming , We often cant get the system to work if these codes are present and we have to replace the module and the key . I have not found a way around these faults yet , But i keep trying - often for an hour or more. The problem is that the "rolling code " and the "handshake " features are lost during some battery failures, Try the battery disconnect , you may get it working again , Thanks Scott.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

A

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The mechanic tried what u said and it did not work, need more answers ...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

And this is his wife wendy, the original key that has a chip in it is grey, not black ....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do u think that if we went back to the dealership and got them to make another key for the car that it would reset everything and the car would crank
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
Yes . most likely a new key will fix it, But be aware that the module in the column could also have a problem thats keeping the car from starting. The dealer needs the car at the shop to program a new key . Some locksmiths and other shops have the ability to reprogram keys also- but they will need the car there too.Please reply if you need more help- any codes the shop can read will help- Thanks Scott.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE MECHANIC SAYS THAT WHEN HE PUTS THE KEY IN THE IGNITION TO START IT, THE ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES 10 TIMES, AT THAT POINT THE RED SECURITY LIGHT STAYS OUT, AFTER U TRY TO CRANK IT... BUT THE ENGINE WILL NOT CRANK.... I SPOKE WITH SOMEONE AT THE DEALERSHIP YESTERDAY AND THEY SAID BY PUTTING A NEW MOTOR IN THE CAR, IT TRIGGERED THE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM, WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO CRANK... WHAT NOW???
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
They new motor does not have anything to do with the security system, A new computer , new column , new keys, will all cause this problem. You need to have the cars security system scanned and the engine computer scanned to find out what is causing the no start. If the security system is causing a no start , It will leave a fault in one or both modules. The only thing I else I can suggest is to carefully inspect all fuses in the system. If there are no faults in either module , A good scanner should be able to read the "No Start" monitor . And As I mentioned , the dealer will have to reprogram any keys or modules that have gone bad. My best advise to take it to a dealer-Chrysler, Dodge or jeep , They all use the same tools and have the same info availible for your car, Thanks. Scott.