Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman

1998 Chrysler Town & Country: with 2 radio issues..sound system

I have a 1998 Chrysler Town & Country with 2 radio issues! I do have the infinity sound system. First, the drivers-side dash board speaker hisses and buzzes sometimes when the radio is on. I'm pretty sure that is just a bad speaker. I need to know how to remove the top of the dash to get to the speaker to change it. That is my first issue.

My next issue, my infinity Chrysler radio had a tape deck, but no cd player. I bought an infinity Radio from a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country that looks exactly the same as mine, but it has a cd player and a tape deck. The radio, cd player, and the tape deck all work perfectly, except when you turn the volume up (just to a normal level) it starts to randomly cut-out and come back in every speaker simultaneously. The radio never loses power. Here's my question. Is the radio bad, or is it in-compatble with my van? They are the same looking radios and they are both infinity sound systems. What should / can i do?
Your second problem is the radio itself. It is compatible with your van, sounds like it has a short inside for the volume.

To replace your dash speaker.
  1. Remove A-pillar trim.
  2. Using a trim stick, disengage clips holding rear edge of top cover to instrument panel
  3. Disconnect wire harness from message center.
  4. Pull top cover rearward to disengage hooks holding front of top cover to instrument panel.
  5. Remove top cover.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean by short in the volume? the radio works fine, and the volume control is fine, but whenever i try to get the radio slightly above normal volume it cuts out in maybe 3 speakers, then all, then one, the four etc.... also if i shut the bass off, i can get the radio much much louder. It usually cuts out when there is bass in the song.
I mean the circuit board inside the radio has a short of some type. Did your other radio do this also?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no my other radio was perfect. Is there anything i can swap from radio to radio, or are they too different because the cd player?
No, there is nothing you can swap from one to another.
The new one that is acting up, does it have Infinity anywhere on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, it says Chrysler infinity just like the original radio. Also, the van it came from said infinity on the speakers, and had the same number of speakers in the same spot. The only difference, is my van is an LX, and the other one was an LXi, but i think the sound systems are identical (besides the CD).

ALSO, now that i think about it, i think my old radio had an extra cable going to it, but there is no spot for it on the new radio.
Then there is something inside the new one that is bad.