Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience all makes&models

90 LeBaron: 6cyl..headlight switch, dimmer switch..inspection

I have a '90 LeBaron GT conv 6cyl. It needs headlight switch, dimmer switch. How can it be fixed so as to pass DC inspection?

Don Knight :

The headlight switch is available at AUTOZONE they may also be able to get you the dimmer switch it depends upon the switch you have.

Thank you. I'll be back shortly.

Don Knight :

You are welcome.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

I went to auto zone website and they indicate that they do have the parts I think I need. I'm so grateful to you I could kiss you, (if your wife wouldn't smack me down). I've been getting the run-around from Chrysler. As far as they're concerned I should just throw this car in the trash. I bought it new and we're growing old together. What a relief!!. Only 2 more weeks left 'til my inspection sticker expires and I thought it was all over for my car. Hope I didn't bury you in this torrent of words. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX akaCustomer

If I need you...I'll be back.

Don Knight :

You are quite welcome.I am in the used car business and if i had to get my parts from the dealer i would need to shut down.have a great day,Don

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Help. help. I'm caught in the toils of your system. I am NOT disputing your advice...I'm trying to discuss this problem further. You gave me good advice and I accepted it.

I went to the AutoZone website when I left our session for a few minutes and it indicated the switches were on hand. I returned to our session and accepted your advice. I thought the matter was resolved. Then, I called my mechanic, Jerry at Mack's Auto, XXX-XXX-XXXX who went over to AutoZone on Leesburg Pike to pick up the switches. He said the switches would not work in my car. That puts me back to "Start". What I am trying to ask you is.....Now what????

Please ask your mechanic if the headlight switch is dash mounted or on the steering column.Please let me know what you have and I will find you the correct part,Don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's steering column mounted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI Don,

Silly me! Headlight switch is on left side of dash. Hi/lo beam lever is on steering column.

If your headlight switch is dash mounted the one they have at auto zone should work.Also the dimmer switch should work ,are you sure your mechanic was looking at the correct switches?If the plugs are slightly different he should be able to rewire it so that it works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just went out to my car and LOOKED at the headlight cluster. Headlight switch is mounted on the dash left of the steering wheel. The hi/lo beam lever is part of the switch cluster and is mounted on the dash also. I apologize for giving you incorrect information.
If you have a napa store in your area you can check with them but if your mechanic cant rewire the switch that Auto Zone has find someone else who can,it is a simple process if you know how electrical systems work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This guy insists that the switches won't work and can't be rewired to work. He says if I can find the right switch he'll install it for me. He says somehow..... this is a special job. I bought it off the showroom floor and believed it was a standard job. I didn't discuss the headlight switch with the dealer because I thought it was a regular switch. The salesman never said anything about it being special.

I'm pretty upset at this point. Who thought a headlight switch would require a rocket scientist to repair it.

Do you have any other suggestions?

have your mechanic go to have all the headlight switches(many different designs) but I saw the one that you need for about$100.I am not sure if this number will get through this web site but there number is XXXXX let me know if you need more assistance,Don