Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman

Chrysler Sebring how do you properly set and align the timing

how do you properly set and align the timing marks on the 2.4L DOHC motor. I've tried it with the Haynes manual several times and keep getting a stumbling idle with an occassional shut down after racing the motor and a engine code P0016.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket.

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner.
  4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack.
  5. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang. Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock nut is torqued.
  6. Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.

NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

7. Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position
  8. Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window. If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
  9. Install engine mount support bracket .
  10. Install upper timing belt cover.
  11. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  12. Install generator and bracket. Connect generator connections.
  13. Install AC/Generator belt tensioner.
  14. Install crankshaft damper
  15. Install right engine mount
  16. Install coolant recovery container
  17. Install accessory drive belts.
  18. Install belt splash shield.
  19. Install right front wheel.
  20. Connect negative battery cable.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the attempt to assist me but the answer was the tipical tex book instruction. I've tried this several times with no prevail. Was hoping to learn some trick to it or something that the tex book wasn't expressing. Again, thanks for the attempt.....
Expert:  Chad replied 2 years ago.
Well, that is from Chrysler. It is a little different than what you said you did. I set the crank gear one tooth before the mark, the intake cam just like it it suppose to be, and the exhaust cam about half tooth back. Starting from the crank, up to the intake, then to the exhaust cam, using a wrench to turn exhaust cam to line up with intake, and use the tensioner to take up the slack and turn crank to line up. I have done the riming belt on the 2.4 engine like that since it came out.
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience: Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman