Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair. Chrysler Certified
24034660

my truck is running hot .i have new radiator and water pump

my truck is running hot .i have new radiator and water pump . both r maybe 4 or 5 months old . so i put new fan clutch . and still running over temp.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its a dodge ram 1500 .1997 .190000 miles
When and how long does it take to get hot? And have you been adding a lot of coolant to it? And does the heater blow hot air from it? Thanks please let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it takes 25 minutes to get hot maybe less and im not leaking any coolant . heater does blow hot
Does the engine run good, (not missing or lacking power)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lupes in idle spmetimes not all the time.seems to have regular power .

What needs to done is a block test, this test will test for exhaust gasses leaking to the cooling system,When a head or head gasket has a slight leak into cooling system then it will cause the engine to run hotter and over-heat, You can with the engine cooled down, Remove the radiator cap. have coolant or water filled to the top, and then let the engine run at idle for about 20 mins,and watch for any air bubbles raising to the top of the radiator neck, If you see any then you have ahead gasket leaking or a cracked cylinder head, Thanks let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this over heating started when temp. starting getting to the 90s. so my friend said that the fan clucth was loose . so i replaced the fan clucth .and i put a 160 degree thermostat in . its been doing this for three weeks . if ihit traffic it gets hotter faster but when i am drivering on highway it goes back down .i have ran my engine like u said to see if coolant was flowing and i didnt see any air bubbles . in the past on old radiator i have put some stop leak in do u think that might have done something .the 160 thermostat wasnt new it was the old one that i use before .i have a new one but it was doin same temp was still going up that was before the new fan clucth. do u think i should put the new one back in .
There is a chance that the stop leak may have restricted the smaller coolant ports that go from block to heads, The radiator that you installed, Is it new, and is it the proper radiator for this truck (the heavy-duty core, not the smaller one)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah it is new and yes its the right one because it was doin fine until couple of weeks ago . is the a way for me at home to flush engine coolant .also when i gett done driving the upper hose has alot of preesure is that normal.

when the system is getting hot it will build a lot of pressure, but if its not hot and the hose is pressured then the tstat is hanging-up or you have a head gasket or head leaking? Get some good cooling system flush and add it to it ,and let it run for about 30 mins, then keep filling and draining the cooling system (by removing lower hose) Then when flushed, replace thermostat with new tstat, use 195 or 180 deg, Thanks let me know!

Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair. Chrysler Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have a new thermostat with me i will try it this week end to see if it works . its weird ive never had any problem like this with this truck . do nuthink the thermostat has went bad in the closed position. .how long can i run engine with radiator cap off . when checking stuff.
The tstat may be sticking,You should be able to run engine for about 20mins with cap off. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if the thermostat does open all the way and wont let enough coolant threw will it get hot slowly or fast
Depends on where it is stuck, if stuck completely it will over-heat fast, if partly stuck it will slowly over-heat