brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2005 PT Cruiser: Rough idle..Throttle body appears clean and new plugs

2005 PT Cruiser. Rough idle while holding in gear at stop. Throttle body appears clean and new plugs no help. Car is always filled with top tier gas and very well maintained. K&N air filter installed when new.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If you did not remove the idle air control motor from the throttle body when cleaning it then you need to do this. Remove it and clean out the passageway for it with throttle body cleaner and this will help the idle
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Seems to have improved but it is my wife's car and I seldom drive it. She is out in it now and I am sure there will be a critique when she returns. I wasn't sure how aggressive to get with the cleaning process. I used Gumout (sensor compatible) and ran a soft brush through the throttle body and idle air control access chamber. Does the computer need to learn the condition or does it maintain memory? I disconnected the negative cable on the battery while cleaning everything.

Just how smooth does a PT turbo idle anyway? My guess is not very smooth but a confirmation would be appreciated.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
Will take a few miles for it to adjust and yes a PT turbo will have a little rough idle but if she drives it all the time she will know if it is like it was or still a problem. If this helped but doesn't completely fix the problem then you may have to replace the idle air control motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy with it but she isn't. The car runs great. Thanks. I'll have to spend a couple hundred bucks to have a local mechanic tell her the same (if I can find a good one, we are new to the area). Very quick responses that are informative and helpful and I appreciate it very much. I guess I can't get used to the idea the car is smarter than I am, all the small and big block Chevys I built didn't seem to be. They don't build them like they used to, thank goodness.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.
OK....thanks for the update.

Please click ACCEPT if we are done.

Thanks!