Tom N.
Tom N., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified 31 years experience multiple car lines. I want to assist you!
7314103

Chrysler Town & Country LX how do you compress the brake

how do you compress the brake piston on a 2008 Chrysler town an country? Do you turn the piston head to compress, or is there another way to release?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tom N. replied 3 years ago.

Tom N. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assit you with this. Are you working on the front or the rear calipers? Let me know I see you are off line....

Customer:

I am working on the rear brake calipers. I removed from one side, but was not able to compress the piston to install new pads and rotors. I saw that there were two slots on the piston head and I used needle nose pliers to rotate the piston. It did start to compress while doing this. The problem is the rubber boot sealing the piston tore when I did this. I did not know if the piston had to be orientated correctly to compress, or if the parking brake lever has to have the right orientation. I tried to change positions of both the park brake lever in the caliper and the piston and compress, but had no luck.

Tom N. :

Full Size Image
Good information, thanks. I am going to include a picture of the tool that you need to compress the rear calipers. This tool is available at harbor freight tools, just enter this (18 Piece Disc Brake Pad and Caliper Service Tool Kit) into the search area and you will see the tool that you need to compress the pistion back into the caliper. the emergency brake handle should be in the released position when compressing the calipers. I have also included a picture the way to instlall the tool as you use it .

Tom N. :

The tool will colapses the caliper and rotates it at the same time( must have been a mad engineer that figure that one out.) This should solve the problem for you.

Hope this helps. please click on the ACCEPT button if I have answered all your questions. Please ask if you need more assistance Bonus is always appreciated . I will post positive feed back for you, please do the same for me.

Thanks and God bless.

Tom

Customer:

Thanks for the advice. I will get the tool. The picture really helped.

Tom N., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified 31 years experience multiple car lines. I want to assist you!