Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1994 LeBaron: ignition key..convertible..my automatic transmission

Customer Question

The ignition key is "locked" in my 1994 LeBaron convertible. It seems to be related to my automatic transmission shifter. Shifter is stuck in "park" which doesn't release when I push on the top button and pull back towards "reverse". Is it safe to force the shifter into reverse in order to drive to the garage. Is it safe to drive? Help please.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Is the steering column mechanically locked in one direction and you can't move the wheel at all, or can you move the wheel a little in each direction?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This was NOT helpful. No - the steering column is NOT locked at all. I removed the shifter cover and can see the notches for the various transmission settings. I can also see a piece of plastic which seems to be broken off. The problem seems to be between the ignition mechanism and the transmission - like a linkage cable is inoperative. The shifter button on top of the "stick" is depressed and not operating either.

Never mind -- don't spend anymore time on my question/problem. It's not effective for either of us. Thank you.

I asked a simple question to try and determine what kind of problem you are having without being able to see the car in person. My response wasn't meant to be helpful or an answer, it was a request for information (the title of the post) to try and determine what you have going on. I can't be there in person to diagnose the problem and have to rely solely on the information you give in your posts. If you don't give enough information then I have no choice but to ask questions.

Good luck.