Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

1999 300m: crankshaft pulley to replace water pump..puller

do i have to remove crankshaft pulley to replace water pump on 1999 300m, got a three jaw puller and still cannot get pulley off
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

If you aren't replacing the timing belt, then you don't have to remove the crank pulley. You can see the timing mark on the crank timing sprocket without removing the pulley.

If you are replacing the timing belt along with the water pump, you need to remove the pulley.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so it is possible to get the covers off to access the water pump without removing the pulley? looks to me like the sheet metal cover cannot come off witout removing the pulley
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you can get the large steel cover off without removing the crank pulley. Once all the visible bolts(10mm head) are removed from the cover, you need to remove the bolts(10mm head) from in behind the crank pulley. If you turn the pulley you can access the bolts through the pulley opening. Once the bottom bolts are out, remove the small cover at the bottom and the large cover, it will slide out of there. I have done many of these and it is very easy to do.

Thank you,