Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

97 sebring: wont start..u crank the battery dead other times

97 sebring wont start most of the time . sometime it turns over til u crank the battery dead other times it wont do any thing. nothing show up on computer
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

4cyl or V6? Have you checked for spark or fuel pressure when it wont start?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

V6 and yes we checked for spark and the fuel pressure the fuel pump also

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
What was the fuel pressure reading you got? Did you have spark? You checked these when it wouldnt start correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure what they were my husband did it and yes he did it when it wouldnt start.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, step 1 is finding out what we are missing......For the vehicle to run it needs spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse, and compression.........Compression wouldnt be intermittent so no need to check that.....If fuel pressure is low pump will need to be replaced. The distributor assembly is somewhat common to cause no spark. Once you find out which one your missing you can reply back at any time if you have more questions, thanks.

Fuel Pressure
Pressure 1 (PSI)Pressure 2 (PSI)
47.0 - 50.0Y07138.0Y072
Y071: System pressure with regulator vacuum disconnected. Pressure measured at idle speed.
Y072: System pressure with regulator vacuum connected.