ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor

2006 Chrysler Pacifica: one of the remote keys for the car

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. I love this car!! My daughter lost one of the remote keys for the car. We have one left. I have 3 cut keys that will let me enter the car. The remote key I have works but the alarm goes off everytime I put the key in the lock. Is there anyway to disarm the alarm permanently? I am afraid to try the reprogramming for fear that I will de program the only key that works. I do have a new uncut key fob that I plan on cutting and programming but am not sure how to do it. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi the alarm is incorporated in to all the computers on your vehicle and can not be bypass or eliminted from the network with out replasing the computers in to basic computers . this can be verry expensive, the security on this vehicle can hold up to 3 remotes and you can not program a forth one with out loosing one remote function , no matter how many keys you reprogram it will eliminate the old key and replase it with a new on, you hould have no problem reprograming a nw key as long as the new key is factory original.are they original keys or aftermarket keys?

Customer:

One is the original that came with the car and one I purchased . I t is an factory key but is blank When I do the reprogramming, is there a chance that I will loose the programing on the original? and when I do reprogram will it reactivate the lock and unlock buttons on my original key? and do you have the directions for me to do the reprogramming. THank you

ricardo hohl :

i am gong t change to Q/A to send you information.

ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
just for information.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) is designed to provide passive protection against unauthorized vehicle use by disabling the engine, after two (2) seconds of running, whenever an invalid key is used to start the vehicle. The SKIS is active whenever the ignition is on and does not require any customer intervention. The primary components of the system are the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), Sentry Key (ignition key with a transponder molded into the head), indicator light, Body Control Module (BCM), and the Next Generation Controller (NGC). The SKREEM is mounted on the ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly with the molded, integral antenna mounted around the ignition housing. The indicator light, is located instrument panel switch pod, just to the right of the instrument cluster.

The SKIS includes keys from the factory which are pre-programmed. Each SKIM will recognize a maximum of eight Sentry Keys. If the customer would like to own additional keys other than those provided with the vehicle, they can be purchased from any authorized dealer. These keys must be programmed to the SKREEM on the vehicle in order for the system to recognize them as valid keys. This can be done by the dealer with a DRB III(R) scan tool or by a customer if this feature is available in their market and they have two (2) valid keys already available to them. The SKIS performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON position and will store Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) if a system malfunction is detected. The SKIS can be diagnosed and any stored DTC's can be retrieved using a DRB III(R) scan tool.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) authenticates an electronically coded Transponder Key placed into the ignition and sends a valid/invalid key message to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) based upon the results. The "VALID/INVALID KEY" message communication is performed using a rolling code algorithm via the Programmable Communication Interface (PCI) data bus. A "VALID KEY" message must be sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) within two seconds of ignition ON to free the engine from immobilization.

The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) receives an encrypted Radio Frequency (RF) signal from the transponder key. The SKREEM then decrypts the signal and broadcasts the requested remote commands to the appropriate modules in the vehicle over the Programmable Communication Interface (PCI) data bus. A valid transponder key ID must be incorporated into the RF signal in order for the SKREEM to pass the message on to the appropriate modules.

Automatic transponder key synchronization is done by the SKREEM if a valid transponder key is inserted into the ignition cylinder, and the ignition is turned ON. This provides a maximum operation window for RKE functions.

Each Sentry Key Remote Entry System (SKREES) consists of a SKREEM and a transponder key. Each system has a secret key code unique to that system. The secret key is electronically coded in the SKREEM and in all programmed transponder keys. It is used for immobilization and RKE functions for data security. In addition, each transponder key will have a unique identification.

The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system allows the use of a remote battery-powered radio transmitter to communicate with the RKE receiver to actuate the power lock system. The RKE receiver operates on non-switched battery current through a fuse in the Integrated Power Module (IPM), so that the system remains operational, regardless of the ignition switch position.

The RKE transmitters are also equipped with a Panic button. If the Panic button on the RKE transmitter is depressed, the horn will sound and the exterior lights will flash on the vehicle for about three minutes, or until the Panic button is depressed a second time. Pressing the Panic button also activates the courtesy lamps. Pressing the Panic button again stops the exterior lamps from flashing and the horn from sounding. However, the courtesy lamps will remain illuminated until either the BCM times out lamp operation or until the turning of the ignition. The panic feature will operate if the ignition is ON, but only if the Panic button is pressed prior to starting the vehicle. A vehicle speed of about 25.7 km/h (15 miles-per-hour) will also cancel the panic event.

The RKE system can also perform other functions on this vehicle. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS), the RKE transmitter will arm the VTSS when the Lock button is depressed, and disarm the VTSS when the Unlock button is depressed.

The RKE system includes two transmitters when the vehicle is shipped from the factory, but the system can retain the vehicle access codes of up to a total of four transmitters. The transmitter codes are retained in the RKE module memory, even if the battery is disconnected. If an RKE transmitter is faulty or lost, new transmitter vehicle access codes can be programmed into the system using a DRB III(R) scan tool.

This vehicle also offers several customer programmable features, which allows the selection of several optional electronic features to suit individual preferences. Customer programmable feature options affecting the RKE system include:

• Automatic Door Lock - Customer programmable feature that allows the DDM/PDM to perform an automatic door lock if the vehicle speed is above 25.7 km/h (15 miles-per-hour) .
  • Automatic Door Unlock On Exit - Customer programmable feature that allows the DDM/PDM to perform an automatic door unlock if the vehicle speed is 0, vehicle in park and driver door is opened.
  • Flash Lights with Lock and Unlock -Allows the option of having the park lamps flash as an optical verification that the RKE system received a valid Lock request or Unlock request from the RKE transmitter, or having no optical verification.
  • Programming Additional Transmitters -Allows up to a total of four transmitter vehicle access codes to be stored in the receiver memory.
  • Remote Unlock Sequence - Allows the option of having only the driver side front door unlock when the RKE transmitter Unlock button is depressed the first time. The remaining doors unlock when the button is depressed a second time within 5 seconds of the first unlock press. Another option is having all doors unlock upon the first depression of the RKE transmitter Unlock button.
  • RKE Linked to Memory - Allows the RKE transmitter to be linked to the memory system. The RKE transmitter can be linked to either position 1 or position 2. This allows the operator to have the vehicle move the mirrors, seat, pedals and radio stations upon a depress of the unlock switch on the transmitter.
  • Sound Horn on Lock - Allows the option of having the horn sound a short chirp as an audible verification that the RKE system received a valid Lock request from the RKE transmitter, or having no audible verification.

The RKE transmitter uses radio frequency signals to communicate with the SKREEM module. The SKREEM is on the PCI bus. When the operator presses a button on the transmitter, it sends a specific request to the SKREEM. In turn, the SKREEM sends the appropriate request over the PCI bus to the following:

• Driver Door Module (DDM) - to control the driver front door lock and unlock functions, the arming and disarming of the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) if equipped, and the activation of illuminated entry.
  • Integrated Power Module (IPM) - to activate the park lamps, the headlamps and the horn for the horn chirp.
  • Passenger Door Module (PDM) - to control the passenger front, rear driver and rear passenger door lock and unlock functions and activation of the passenger door courtesy lamp.
  • Power Liftgate Module (PLGM) - to control the liftgate lock and unlock functions.

After pressing the lock button on the RKE transmitter, all of the door locks will lock, the illuminated entry will turn off (if all doors are closed) and the vehicle theft security system (if equipped) will arm.

Pressing the unlock button one time will unlock the driver door, or all doors based on the customer programmable feature enabled, the illuminated entry will turn on the courtesy lamps and the vehicle theft security system (if equipped) will disarm. Pressing the unlock button a second time, the remaining door locks will unlock.

If the vehicle is equipped with the memory system, the memory message will identify which transmitter (1 or 2) sent the signal.

The SKREEM is capable of retaining up to 8 individual access codes (8 transmitters). If the PRNDL is in any position except park, the SKREEM will disable the RKE. The 4 button transmitter uses 1-CR2032 battery. The minimum battery life is approximately4.7 years based on 20 transmissions a day at 84°F (25°C) . Use the DRBIII(R) scan tool or the Miller Tool 9001 RF Detector to test the RKE transmitter. Use the DRBIII(R) or the customer programming method to program the RKE system. However, the SKREEM will only allow RKE programming when the ignition is in the ON position, the PRNDL is in park position, and the VTSS (if equipped) is disarmed.

Service and Repair

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

1. Using a functional key fob transmitter, unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
  2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting engine.
  4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum five seconds (maximum ten seconds ).
  5. While still holding UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press the PANIC button and release both at the same time. A single chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered (allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).
  6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time. Then press and release any button on the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for all transmitters that will be used with this vehicle (up to 4 total).
  8. Turn ignition to the OFF position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds. All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, even though my key fob does not open or lock the doors even when pushed, I can still use it to reprogram the new key fob, correct? The reprogramming requires the push and hold of that button but I know it does not lock or un lock the doors now.

when the key programs itself to your ignition it will program the remote also. if you bought the keys at the dealer they were supposed to program them to your car at no cost to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I must not be making myself very clear.
1- The only key I have for my Pacifica, starts and runs the car but the lock/unlock no longer work. When we lock the car, we must open it with the actual key turn which in turn sets off the alarm.
2- I have purchased a new, uncut key and fob.
3- I want to program that key.
4- The direction require the pushing of the fob keys( which I believe are not engaging)
5- Will I still be able to program the new key mysef?
6- Is there a chance the process will deactivate my only working key?
Thank you

no it will not deactivate your key you can program another key and fob with out deactivating yours .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great! That is a relief! Do you believe that I can still program the new key if the old one's keys do not unlock the doors? Will reprogramming the keys stop the alarm from going off every time I try to unlock my car? Thanks
yes it will, the key transponder will recognize the key fob and turn the alarm off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much. I will not be doing this for another month but I appreciate your help. If I have any trouble, I will get back in touch. Have a great Sunday.
you have a nice Sunday to thank you and if any problems just let me know .