Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Dodge: My car stops dead..Three diagnostic tests and nothing shows up.

My car stops dead after driving three to eleven miles. Our personal mechanic plus a Chryler and a Dodge dealer can't seem to find the problem. Three diagnostic tests and nothing shows up. We have put two computers, a crank shaft, a cam shaft, two relays (I am a woman so my terminology isn"t quite so good) a new fuel pump, new battery and water pump. I haven't been able to drive my car for two months. Also, the car will only drive for three to seven miles before the electrical system fails.

Did you still need help?

Are there any codes in the computer?

What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, yes, yes, I still need help with my car!!!

The code in the car computer showed that the crank shaft position sensor indicated a problem and it was replaced. This didn't fix the problem as it still continued to shut down after the engine warmed up which was three to nine miles. This information came from three professional mechanics after three separate diagnostic test. We have spent $1300 so far trying to fix this car and the origional problem still exists every time we try to use the vehicle. We have a pile of metal sitting in our garage that can't be used because no one can fix it. So far we have replaced two different used computers,several relay switches, new battery and fixed a leak in the cooling system hoping to find the problem.

The car is a Chrysler Town and Country 2003 van with an engine size of 3.3LV6. You are my last hope as I don't want to purchase another car and experience car payments again.

Thanks for your help!

Joy at

THanks for the reply!

Can you get the vehicle to act up so that we can run some tests?

Does the crank sensor code still pop up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The first thing that our mechanic did was replace the crank sensor. We still had the same problem that put the car in the shop. We took it to the dealer next for their opinion and they replaced the sensor with their parts. Took it out for test drive and said that it died six times for them. Put our parts back in that our mechanic had just replaced and sent us on our way. The car broke down on us twice taking it to our origional mechanic. Suncoast Chrysler dealer said that they couldn't get an accurate reading on their machine because we needed a new battery. (Our battery was only two years old and ran fine when we took the car in). By the way, the car stayed over night at their shop. ( I'm sure they left something to run the battery down.) According to the third shop (Dayton Andrews) they ran it in the shop and it cut out on them while it was running and they did the analyst at that time. The only code that showed up was the crank sensor and their recommendation was to put in a new computer but would not guarantee that it would fix the problem. Hope this new information works!!!!

Joy at [email protected]

So the engine never cranks over and not starts... it is just the stalling correct?

Is there any way you can get me the code number that was in the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It sounds to me like you just have a bad module on board your vehicle shorting out pulling the computer system "off line". This is very common! A bad PCM, TCM or instrument cluster or any other module on board your vehicle could very well do this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My mechanic says that it could be a bad instrument cluster as you said and he is in the process of finding us a new one. Hopefully, this will work. I am going to accept your answer and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help!!! If this doesn't work, can I get in touch with you again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Our mechanic put in an instrument cluster on our Chrysler and my husband drove it home. Your advise did not work. Our mechanic is only five miles from our home. Going to the shop, it stopped dead two blocks from the house. Coming home after the replacement of the instrument cluster it drove less than five miles before it was up to it's old trick of stopping dead. We have put in over $1500, have done everything that has been suggested and no one seems to know the answer.

I have never been so frustrated in all my life!!!! The car hasn't worked in over 2 1/2 months and is dangerous to drive at this point.

Once the tack starts to heat up, it's like someone turns the key off. My husband puts the car in nutural and then it starts right up.

At this stage, I'm afraid to drive it around the block because of the risk involved. Any advise.

I have plenty of more things to look at..

Let me just get this straight... the gauges still go crazy and then the vehicle shuts off but can restart right away again?

Both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor have been replaced...correct?

Was the BCM and PCM replaced? What about the TCM?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My husband and I traded the stupid beast of a car in and bought a new vehicle. Since I talked to you the last time, the new battery went dead and the electric window on the passenger side of the Chrysler stopped working. I have never been so frustrated and at my age just could not handle anymore problems. I will never buy another Chrysler product again because of the electrical problems that can't be fixed. I feel bad that it couldn't be fixed. After 41/2 months and over $1500 of repairs and not being able to drive the car, I had enought. I still can't believe that no one out there knew the answer. Thanks anyways for your help!!!!

Thanks for the update!

Have a great night!