Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Chrysler Pacifica: I have only 1 remote key for my 2005 Pacifica.

Customer Question

I have only 1 remote key for my 2005 Pacifica. The dealer wants to charge me $150 for the key and another $50 to program the key. Do I have any options? I went on-line to buy a remote key but they warned that I need two remote keys for me to successfully program a new key.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 years ago.

I went on-line to buy a remote key but they warned that I need two remote keys for me to successfully program a new key

This is true for the Key, as you would need use of Dealer DRB Scan Tool to program........

PROGRAMMING THE IGNITION KEYS TO THE SKREEM
Turn the ignition on (transmission in park/ neutral).
Use the DRBIII(R) and select THEFT ALARM, SKREEM, then MISCELLANEOUS.
Select PROGRAM IGNITION KEYS.
Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN.
NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each SKREEM AT ONE TIME. Once a key is learned to a SKREEM it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle.

If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRBIII(R) will display one of the following messages:

Programming Not Attempted - The DRBIII(R) attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed in the SKIM memory.

Programming Key Failed - (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) - SKREEM is unable to program key due to one of the following:

faulty ignition key transponder
ignition key is programmed to another vehicle.
8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done - SKIM transponder ID memory is full.

Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from customer (8 keys maximum)
Using the DRBIII(R), erase all ignition keys by selecting MISCELLANEOUS and ERASE ALL CURRENT IGN.KEYS
Program all ignition keys.
Learned Key In Ignition - Ignition key transponder ID is currently programmed in SKREEM memory.

For Remote / Keyless Entry:

1. Using a functional key fob transmitter, unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
  2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting engine.
  4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum five seconds (maximum ten seconds ).
  5. While still holding UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press the PANIC button and release both at the same time. A single chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered (allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).
  6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time. Then press and release any button on the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for all transmitters that will be used with this vehicle (up to 4 total).
  8. Turn ignition to the OFF position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds. All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified.

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system.

I have sent the information you have requested.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the answer is I have no choice but to pay the dealer?

Also, I noticed that the remote I do have has an icon for the hatch release. It shows a 2X image which I figure is telling me to press it twice to open the hatch. I do this and nothing happens. Is this what I should expect? SInce nothing happens I assume this is defective. How do I fix this?

NO.............

please reread.
you can program Door Remotes, but NOT the Key

It shows a 2X image which I figure is telling me to press it twice to open the hatch.

That is correct, push 2 times to release rear, but "only" if your BCM / Module has that feature

How do I fix this?

Use of Dealer Scan Tool is needed to verify operation

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are speaking in riddles, please just give me a straight answer. I have reread your "copy and paste" and it doesn't answer my question. Perhaps this issue is that there are two separate functions? One is the ignition function and the second is the remote door open function? OK, let's assume this is the case. I need both on one key. Since I only have one key which is both remote and ignition and I want a second one just like this one, am I stuck going back to the dealer?

Second question: I asked about the hatch release and your response was only if my BCM/Module has this function. How do I determine if my BCM/Module has this function? If I am forced to go back to the dealer and get a second key programed for ignition and remote, can I get them to implement this function?

You are speaking in riddles, please just give me a straight answer

sorry for the misunderstanding.....

Your original question was:

Do I have any options?

I answered in my first reply that you need use of Dealer DRB Scan Tool to Program the "KEY" but did not need DRB Scan Tool to Program the Remote / Keyless Entry.

I have no idea what you have done or if the Key even works to start the vehicle

You then asked about the 2x button which also is part of the Remote / Keyless Entry

The 2x Button will NOT work until the Remote / Keyless Entry is Programmed

(so why you were trying to get it to work, i have no idea)

in short:
It would be best to have Dealer complete the complete Programming with DRB Scan Tool, because at that time they can Program the Remote / Keyless Entry & 2x Button if the Original Key has this function & the vehicle computer has this function.

I gave you "three" ways that are the only ways

1) Program Remote / Keyless Entry yourself

2) Dealer "has to" Program Ignition Key
3) Have Dealer complete all the Program, since they are going to do the Ignition Key & it does not take but a couple of minutes for that.

How do I determine if my BCM/Module has this function?

As stated above, Dealer DRB Scan Tool is needed to confirm, unless you have the Build Sheet & it states that

If I am forced to go back to the dealer and get a second key programed for ignition and remote, can I get them to implement this function?

If your Original Key / Remote / Keyless Entry has this function, then it can be programmed at the same time of the Remote / Keless Entry. (it is part of the duplication of the original)
If your Original does NOT have that function, then NO it cannot.

If the New one you purchased has that function & the Original does not, then you may have the "wrong" Key / Remote / Keyless Entry

I could have just stated that Dealer is the "only" option, but please understand, we get these questions everyday & "if" I would have stated that, 80% of the time the customer comes back & says that is not true & I did not give a correct answer.
So rather than give you a direct (best) way, I have given you the different ways, in which may cause some confusion, but is the only ways this can be done