George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Chrysler PT Cruiser Street Cruiser I flat tow a 2006 pt cruiser

Customer Question

I flat tow a 2006 pt cruiser with automatic with a lube pump installed, my problem is the battery runs down to flat. Can I disconnect the battery to stop the draw on it? I also have a roadmaster brake system installed
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,

You Should have the ignition in the off but not locked position so the lights and the pump should be run from the tow vehicle not the towed vehicle and the battery should not be running flat.

Is this not the way you are powering the lube pump?

Let me know so I can help you with is

Thank you
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the lube pump is powered from the tow vehicle
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.
Are you turning the key to the accessory position so the vehicle systems stay powered up?

the battery is almost 6 years old if it is the original so it should be replaced

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I turn the key on until i can turn the steering wheel and then turn back to the left as far as i can go. The battery was replaced in Dec 2010
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

That is the correct position for towing and it is good that the battery has been replaced.

You should not have a drain in that position so you will have to find what type of draw there is on the system when it is in the OFF position by installing an amp meter between the negative battery cable and the negative battery terminal to see if the drain is less than 50 milliamp.

If one of the computers is staying powered up you may have a 200 - 250 milliamp drain but even that should not completely drain the battery if you drive the car daily or every other day.

If it is left for days or weeks on end with the key in the ignition then the drain may be a problem but with daily driving and a new battery as you have you should be able to go for several days even with the higher drain.

Let me know how fast the battery dies and I might be able to suggest something to check that does not require a meter to be installed for the amp draw test

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Within 3 hours the battery will be drained, should i get a toad charge unit to fix this
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

NO you need to find the drain or see if the battery has a bad cell that is much too fast for a computer staying on so you need to have a drain test run to see what the pull is. If you left the doors open and the interior lights on for three hours the battery would not be drained so this is a major draw and the cause will have to be found.

If you have an amp meter install it between the negative terminal and the cable and see what the draw is with the key in the off position.

I suspect you will see 1.5 - 2.5 amps and pulling fuses will show what circuit the draw drops to normal levels then working down the circuit will show which component is the problem.

If you have auto lights be sure they are in the off position as there can be current flow through a headlight bulb without it glowing, same for the other lamps.

If you need a shop to chase the draw they should be able to find it within 1 hour labor time, I would not take it to a dealer if you do need a shop. Find an independent, certified shop that claims to be an electrical specialist.

You should not have to have the car attached to the RV to find the draw it should be present whenever the key is in the off position or there is a problem with how the wiring to the RV is installed in the car.

Thank you