sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 Pacifica: cranking..check engine light..the speedometer

The theft alarm on my 2005 Pacifica has malfunctioned and the car will not start. When I turn the ignition key the headlights come on and there is no cranking by the starter motor. The Pacifica was running just yesterday but the check engine light was on and the speedometer was not working. How can I qverride the theft alarm system in order to get the car to a Chrysler Dealer.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When this first started did the engine start and die three times?

If you turn the key on does the shifter display show the correct gear? Does it show the wrong gear? Do all boxes light up at the same time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it started and died three times and then would not turn over at all. During this time all boxes on the shifter display were illuminated. I just tried to start it this morning 24 hours later and the car started right up. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Did you notice any other electrical problems that happened at the same time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes when trying to start it the radio did not play and every warning light on the instrument panel was lit up. Also. the headlights came on but the interior lights were off even though I had the door opened. After starting the car this morning and letting it warm up I turned it off. Just an hour later when I tried to start it again it ran for a second and then died. I have not tried it again. Is there a procedure I can follow to get the car running again?
The problem is going to have to be diagnosed at the time it's acting up. There is something taking down the communication bus, the network that all the different modules communicate on. This is why the shifter boxes were lit up, the SKIM system was killing the engine, the lights came on and the warning lights came on. The problem could be any one of the modules on the vehicle or wiring in between any of them. Electrical testing will need to be done at the time it's acting up, requiring a good digital voltmeter at the least, a full capability scan tool would be extremely helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. Should I take the car for certified Chrysler service or could a good mechanic fix the problem? A presumably expert mechanic has been reccomended to me and he is willing to come to my house to investigate the problem.

The nearest Chrysler dealer is about 20 miles away and in another state so getting the Pacifica there on a tow truck could be costly.

As long as the mechanic willing to come to your house is well versed in Chrysler electrical systems then that would be a great way to go. You're correct in thinking that a tow bill will be pricey. I'd definitely give the mechanic a shot and see if he can figure it out before having it towed.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist