Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

Chrysler 300M Chrysler 300M led ac/heat panel display wont

Customer Question

Chrysler 300M led ac/heat panel display won't light up
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Are you talking about the button illumination for night time driving or the digital display not turning on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
digital display
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a test light and are able to test a few things?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is the digital display that shows temp and other things and no I do not have a test light but may have access to one from my neighbor later
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a digital multimeter or a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I need you to remove the fuse box cover from the left side of the dash, then turn the key on and test both sides of fuse #17 and #19 to see if you have power on both sides of the fuse. You should have battery voltage on both sides of the fuse. Let me know if you have voltage to both fuses and if they have power on both sides of the fuse.

Put your voltmeter black lead to a good ground and the red lead to the test port on the fuse.

Here is a picture of a test light testing fuses, you need to use your red test lead in place of the test light probe.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks I will try that so where is the accept button?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry was checking my e-mail
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

There is no accept button because I haven't sent you an answer yet, so check this out and we can go from there! I want to diagnose this first before I send an answer!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok will take me a few minute's to go outside and check
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sure no problem!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok they tested good I just noticed that the button lights do not work either is it possible that the display unit is bad
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You could have a faulty a\c heater control head assembly, but I would like you to remove it so we can check for power and ground to the unit.

Can you remove the display unit from the dash so we can test for power and ground?

The center bezel around the control head will just pull rearward and the control will come with it. The center bezel has a bunch of clips holding it to the instrument panel and if you pry the bezel out the clips will release.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I removed the unit but I think my meter just stopped working it was a cheap on anyway
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

If your meter quit, we will have to get a test light! Can you get one from your neighbor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

went over and neighbor is not home I will have to purchase on myself if you could tel me where to test on the panel that would be more then helpful

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I need you to disconnect the control head connector and turn the key on. Then hook your test light lead to a good ground and probe the white wire and the pink wire to see if you have power to both wires. If you have power, I need you to take a small paper clip and push one end of it into the pink wire terminal. Then hook you test light lead to the paper clip and probe the two black wires to see if the light illuminates bright. This is checking the ground to the control head. When hooking the test light exactly as I mentioned the light should illuminate bright and if all of them do, you must have a faulty control head(display unit).

Let me know and we can go from there!

Thank you,

Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks you have been a great help I will try those things and hopefully get to the source thanks again
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome!

Feel free to leave feedback for my efforts!

If you need anymore help, just ask!

Thank you