Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech

Plymouth Grand Voyager 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager, transmission

Customer Question

1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager, transmission Shifting hard.

The problem first started with hard shifting only on the down shift into first gear, then expanded to most down shifts. Now, most the shift is a hard shifting. I occasionally get a P1698 OBD2 code and and been told/read that the solenoid, tcm, or wiring harness can cause this code. This problem began approximately 6 months ago and was very mild and just in the last month has progressed to a point I fear transmission failure.

When I bought this van in 2007, it had this problem mildly and I discovered the previous owner used ATF instead of ATF4 so I serviced the transmission, no metal on the magnet. Just the typical "fuzz". This cured the problem in 07' so I serviced it again this weekend since I had about 30k miles on it. Again, no metal on the magnet and minimal "fuzz". I use Castrol ATF4 and Lucas Transmission treatment/additive and the old fluid looked in good order.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined on these vans as this is the 10th or so I have owned but the Haynes manual sux for much more than ru-teen maintenance. Any help, links, or flow charts would be greatly appreciated.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Have you up-dated to the newer solenoid ?......Thanks Joey
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Havn't replaced the solenoid. I don't know how to check it to see if it has gone bad.
Well, you could put it on a what i call a Functional scanner which reads the transmission as it shifts the gears. But ill Tell you the Average Life is 8-10 years as the part works really hard.......Thats if you have the 604- od Unit in your Van......You would want to replace the input & output sensors at this time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the 4 speed trany. I think there where 3 slightly diffrent ones they put in the mini vans between 95-00. I'm farly positive I have the 604. So where are these sensors?
Can the Actron OBD2 scanner scan for the trany information your talking about?
Sometimes it does have a code for this, but most of the time its what I call Bought Experience.......The sensors are located 1 above the solenoid pack & the other is just down past that one on the side of the transmission......You cannot put the wrong one in the wrong place as they are not the same size on the threads......they just screw in like spark will need the battery cables off before you start....
I can Also Give you a place to order your parts if you wish !