Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

2006 Pt Cruiser: the tank I didnt hear the fuel pump priming

2006 Pt Cruiser will not start. Turns over fine. When I had someone turn the key on while I put my head near the tank I didnt hear the fuel pump priming. It seems like its not getting fuel.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

If you have access to a voltmeter or test light, check for 12 volts at the fuel pump connector while trying to start. If you have 12 volts available, the fuel pump is bad. If there's no power available at the pump, I would then check the ASD relay for burned contacts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the fuel pump located. Is it inside of the tank? If so is there someplace I can check the continuity without having to drop the tank?
You can access the wiring from underneath the vehicle, where the harness goes in above the fuel tank. You want to see 12 volts on the dark green/white wire while trying to start. If you have 12 volts on this wire, replace the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the fuel pump inside of the tank, if so do I need to drop the tank to replace it or is there a hatch someplace where I can extract it without lowering the tank?
Yes the fuel pump is in the tank. The fuel tank needs to be lowered to replace it. If you don't have something similar to a fuel tank jack, it is best to drain the tank before removing it. There is a special tool for removing the fuel pump retainer, but it can often be removed with a hammer and punch.

NOTE: The pump has to be properly located to the tank for the fuel gauge to work properly.

REMOVAL

WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE SERVICING FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. SERVICE VEHICLES IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS AND AVOID IGNITION SOURCES. NEVER SMOKE WHILE SERVICING THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH .

1. Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure. See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
  2. Remove the air cleaner lid, disconnect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.
  3. Remove the negative battery cable.
  4. Raise vehicle and support.
  5. Remove fuel tank.
  6. Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.

1. Note the fuel pump location on the top of the fuel tank.
  2. Disconnect fuel filter lines from fuel pump module.

1. Using Special Tool #9340, remove lock ring to release pump module.

WARNING: THE FUEL RESERVOIR OF THE FUEL PUMP MODULE DOES NOT EMPTY OUT WHEN THE TANK IS DRAINED. THE FUEL IN THE RESERVOIR MAY SPILL OUT WHEN THE MODULE IS REMOVED. USE CAUTION TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY .

1. Remove fuel pump module and seal from tank. Discard seal.

INSTALLATION

1. Wipe seal area of tank clean. Place a new seal between the tank threads and the pump module opening.

1. Position fuel pump module in tank. Make sure the alignment tab line up on the fuel tank and pump module for Gas or Diesel fuel tanks.

1. While holding the pump module in position, install lock ring and use special tool #9340 to tighten lock ring.
  2. Install fuel tank.
  3. Lower vehicle.
  4. Install the negative battery cable.
  5. Install the air cleaner lid, connect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.
  6. Fill fuel tank with clean fuel. Use the Scan Tool to pressurize the system and check for leaks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am unable to find the dark green/white wire. Is there a specific place I can find it. Where is the relay, would it be easier to check continuity at the relay?
The fuel pump relay is in the underhood power box. It should be labeled on the lid of the box. Check for power at the relay and look for burned contacts on the relay. Also check the ASD (auto shut down) relay as this would also prevent power to the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Checked all the ASD relays (good), checked all fuses (good), again... I'm not hearing the fuel pump prime when key is turned on or when engine cranks. Is there anything else I can check to diagnose before I take down the tank?
You can check for power at the fuel pump relay by wrapping a single strand of wire around the pins and then re-installing the relay. This way you can test for power on both sides of the fuel pump relay while cranking.

However it may be much easier to do some basic checks for fuel injector pulse and spark. I would suggest using a 12 volt test light to check for fuel injector pulse on the fuel injector wiring connectors. Disconnect a connector from an injector and connect the clip of the test light to one pin and the tip of the test light to the other. The test light should flicker if the injectors are being commanded to fire. Let me know once you have done this, or if you need more clarification.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the fuel pump relay located? Is it in the fuse/relay box. If so I checked all the relays and fuses in the box with a test lamp. I pulled the covers off of the relays and checked both sides for continuity. I'm swaying towards fuel pump failure because I don't hear the fuel fump, so its either not getting power or it is failing.
Yes the relay is in the underhood fuse box. It may be the fuel pump but if you can get a 12 volt test light in your hands I can tell you for sure. These vehicles have more problems with crank sensors and PCM failures than anything else. For this reason I'd really like to know if those fuel injectors are being commanded to fire by checking the connectors with a test light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks like the injectors are under an air plenum. Do I need to take it off to get to the injector wires, is r&ring it as simple as it looks and can I fire it with the plenum off?
Yes pull the plenum up enough to access the injector connectors. Pull the fuel pump relay so that there's no chance the engine will start. You can crank the engine to check for pulse with the plenum up, but the engine can not be started with the plenum off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you tell me what number is XXXXX fuel pump relay?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm afraid of breaking the injector figuring out how to unclip the injector wire. I see a red button, how do I unclip?

You'll need to remove the red clip by sliding it out of the connector. Then you can push the release and remove the connector. Or you can back-probe the connector by leaving it plugged in and sticking t-pins in the back side and connecting your test light to the t-pins.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I've got power at the injector (2nd one from the right)
So the injector is being commanded to fire. Now check for spark by pulling a plug wire off of a plug and holding the end of the boot near a good ground while cranking. Let me know if there is spark available at the plug wire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, plug wire has spark.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it time to take down the tank and change the fuel pump?
You said you have power on both side of the fuel pump relay so it probably does need a fuel pump. Normally I would want to measure fuel pressure first but you would need a fuel pressure gauge kit to do that. I think you have enough evidence to replace the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PT Cruiser is hesitating and having trouble starting, feels like it is starving for fuel.