Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

P0700 transmission control what does this mean?

p0700 transmission control what does this mean?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

(DTC) CODE # XXXXX Control System (MIL Request) Translation: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Malfunction or Failure. P0700 Information Code The Transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. If any malfunction is detected, the TCM informs the PCM by sending a signal (P0700 code). P0700 means that a code has been set in the TCM. This code is for information ONLY. If this code is present, check for transaxle codes. So basically, the P0700 code is telling you to check the TCM for a transaxle DTC. The TCM can not turn on the check engine light so it has the PCM do it, which can only be done with a diagnostic scanner. The self retreival method for chryslers with the ignition key will not pull up the specific transmission fault codes in the tcm.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on the explanation of what the code means, let me know, otherwise please remember to click the accept button. If you have a subscription plan you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Poor accept rates will lead to experts ignoring future questions as they know that the chances of being paid for their time and services is very low. Thank you and have a good day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is a common failure for the p0700 code? is it an internal or external part?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, maybe i didnt explain this well enough. P0700 is an INFORMATION ONLY code. It is SOLELY there to tell the technician that there are specific fault codes in the Transmission Control Module. It does NOT stand for any one part or problem. It is and information code for the technician. The only way to retreive the transmission specific fault codes is with a diagnostic scanner. There is no other way.

there are over 100 transmission fault codes. there are too many possibilities, including dozens of common failures, to try to guess which one. You will end up spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars needlessly replacing good part after good part until you finally get it resolved. Or you could spend about $70-90 to have the Transmission Control module scanned for the specific code and actually know where and what has failed and fix it correctly the first time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will retrieve tcm code on monday. thanks for the help and patience!
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

no problem. once you have the code, post here and I can walk you thru it from there
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
scanned unit found code p0730 in stored codes. it states incorrect gear ratio.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, causes can range from input and output speed sensors being faulty, faulty TCM, faulty wiring harness, low/burnt fluid, internal transmission damage, or faulty solenoid.

Honestly, you are better off expense wise to have it diagnosed by a professional at this point, otherwise unless you have a $10,000 diagnostic scanner and tester, you are left throwing parts at it based on all the possibilities, which will get real expensive, real fast.

Below is diagnostic flow chart, which requires the use of a diagnostic scanner to complete.

P0730-INCORRECT GEAR RATIO

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) constantly calculates the transmission ratio based on the input speed sensor 1 and 2 (N2-N3) signals and the calculated output shaft speed. The intent of this diagnostic is to detect if the transmission is trying to mechanically shift into a different gear than the TCM intends.

NOTE: The transmission control module is programmed to immediately place the transmission into neutral if P0730 or P1731 codes are set. These codes indicate that the transmission experienced an unknown or incorrect gear ratio. Placing the transmission in neutral prevents potential catastrophic failure. When this occurs, the transmission will remain in neutral until the vehicle slows to 29 Km/h (18 mph).

• When Monitored:

Engine rpm greater than 450 rpm, no N2 - N3 input speed sensor errors present, no gear selector lever errors present, no ABS system errors, and vehicle speed above 10 Km/h (6 mph).

• Set Condition:

No shifting operation and actual gear differs from the target gear. No shifting operation - actual (calculated) gear differs from the target (expected) gear, no plausible gear is calculated, actual (calculated) turbine speed is greater than 300 rpm or calculated transmission ratio is above threshold. During an Upshift - actual (calculated) gear is less than target (expected) gear. During Downshift - actual (calculated) gear is greater than target (expected) gear.

Possible Causes
LOW FLUID LEVEL
ABS DTCS PRESENT
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID, SPEED SENSOR AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL RELATED DTCS PRESENT
INTERMITTENT STICKING VALVE IN THE VALVE BODY
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. CHECK IF ABS DTCS ARE PRESENT

With the scan tool, check for ABS DTCs.

Are there any ABS DTCs present?

Yes
  • Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS category and perform the appropriate symptom(s).

No
  • Go to 2

2. CHECK IF TRANSMISSION SOLENOID DTCS ARE PRESENT

With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTCs.

Are there any transmission solenoid, speed sensor and/or any other transmission electrical related DTCs present?

Yes
  • Refer to the sympXXXXX XXXXXst and perform the appropriate symptom(s).

No
  • Go to 3

3. CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL

NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many transmission problems. Visually inspect the transmission and cooler lines for leakage and repair as necessary and adjust the fluid level per the Service Information. If no visual leaks are observed and the vehicle has obtained over 1610 km (1000 miles) from either new or transmission service, a fluid level check is unnecessary.

Check the transmission fluid level and condition per the Service Information.

Is the fluid level and condition correct?

Yes
  • Go to 4

No
  • Correct the fluid level per the Service Information
  • Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST

4. CHECK ENVIRONMENTAL DATA

With the scan tool, check environmental data for P1731.

Did the environmental data show the code setting during a 3-4 upshift or 4-3 downshift?

Yes
  • NOTE: Debris may enter through the vents in the top of the valvebody. The debris can be a very small sliver that is visibly unnoticable unless flushing onto a fine filter paper. The debris has the potential to stick the 3-4 Shift Pressure or 3-4 Holding valves. If either valve is stuck during a 3-4 upshift or 4-3 downshift, a shift flare, bump shift, harsh shift, or neutraling out will occur.

• Flush and clean the Valve Body per the Service Information. Pay particular attention to the 3-4 shift pressure and 3-4 holding valve. Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1/ELECTROHYDRAULIC UNIT - CLEANING.

No
  • Go to 5

5. CHECK FOR INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Check for an internal Transmission mechanical problem(s).
Remove the Transmission Oil Pan and inspect for excessive debris or a plugged Transmission Oil Filter. Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/AUTOMATIC - NAG1/FILTER - STANDARD PROCEDURE.
Inspect the valve body for foreign material, starting with the four valves associated with the shift described in the environmental data (shift pressure, holding, overlap, command), and continue on to the other valves.
This DTC is usually set due to an internal transmission problem such as but not limited to: stuck solenoid valve and/or contamination in the valve body, broken springs, leaking clutch seals, dislodged or broken snap ring etc.
Inspect the internal transmission, Refer to 21- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION NAG1/SERVICE INFORMATION for the appropriate service procedure(s) and other possible causes.

Were there any problems found?

Yes
  • Repair as necessary per the Service Information.

No
  • If no internal transmission mechanical problems are found, using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM per the Service Information. Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE for the appropriate service procedure
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no abs codes present. thanks for the help!