Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified

Chrysler crossfire: a OCM and is it fixable or just replaceable

Customer Question

I hear the chrysler crossfire has some problems with the OCM component. What exactly is a OCM and is it fixable or just replaceable???
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Chrysler my name is Mark.

What problems are you having?

Are you sure it is OCM, and not something else?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi mark- sorry it is the RCM that crossfire owners are talking about. Also someone menitoned the "crank sensor".

My problem is when i try to start the engine NOTHING happens. all lights appear on dash, all electrical systems work.... the engine does not crank...period !!!!

Ok, there isn't an you mean PCM?

What has the shop told you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

towed car to shop over the weekend.... am waiting for diagnosis right now....

i'm trying to prepare myself for the answer. A forum for crossfire owners talks about same problem and mentions the RCM ???? that's why i asked about it. Then another owner talks about the "crank sensor".. is THAT such a thing????

Ok, I'm not aware of anything referred to as a "RCM". There is an engine computer(PCM), a body computer (BCM) and several other Control Modules, but without anything more specific an "RCM" does not ring a bell.

Yes, there is a crank sensor on your Crossfire and if the engine is cranking over normally and not starting, then that is one of many possibilities here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well i'm afraid that doesn't ease my mind much. So there is NO simple answer to my questions. I guess i am at the mercy of my chrysler dealer and its answer. I was hoping you could tell me that you had heard of this problem before and it normally means that.......... ?!?!?!? hmmmm!!!

how about this then.... what kind of money are we talkig about IF this PCM needs replacement ???? And/or can just parts of this PCM be replaceable, if they tell me the whole PCM is bad????

Unfortunately, without a little bit more specific info from you, it is very hard to provide an informed opinion at this point.

You can always reply back after you here from the dealer if you clarification on anything they have told you.

I've checked the parts catalog and there are about a dozen different part numbers for the PCM, so I would need your VIN to narrow it down simply because I randomly chose 2 of them and the difference in price was massive so I don't want to tell you the wrong info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well heard back from dealer..... Good news and bad news. It is my PCM !!!! good news i'm still under some federal warranty (8 yrs or 80,000) and it will be done for free!!! only problem it may take a week to get part... hey that's cool... thanks for help ?!?! and i accept answer c'ya
Gotta like that!!

Thanks for the Accept!