sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 PT Cruiser: s check engine light has come..repair shop

My 2005 PT Cruiser's check engine light has come on over the last few days. Initial code that I received was 573. Took it to a repair shop and they reset the computer and could not get the error to come back on. Check engine just went on again tonight, but code is now 340. Car drives fine - no sputtering or issues with accelerating. Car has 21,500 miles. Trying to determine if I should view this as a wiring issue or if I need to look at replacing both sensors.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0573 is "brake switch number 1 circuit high". This code could be caused by a bad brake switch, wiring, or the powertrain control module (PCM). The brake switch is mounted to the pedal bracket and has a plunger that rides on the brake pedal arm, opening and closing as you press and release the pedal. While this could be a PCM or wiring issue, it's very likely just the brake switch which is a quick and inexpensive repair.

P0340 is for the camshaft position sensor. The cam sensor is mounted to the left end of the cylinder head and reads off a tone wheel on the intake cam. This code could also be caused by the PCM or wiring to the sensor, but it's very likely the sensor. Cam sensor failures on the 2.4 aren't unheard of. If your wiring and connections look ok then you are very safe with replacing the sensor.