ND-TECH
ND-TECH, CJDR Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified and CJDR Master
26707557

Chrysler 300M My hood latch popped, and now i cannot get my

Customer Question

My hood latch popped, and now i cannot get my hood open. Any ideas on a successful way to open it ??
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by you hood latch popped?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The cable to the hood latch popped, and now I cannot release the hood. I have tried to force it open , but have had no success.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
Ok you need to look under the dash where the handle release is. Check and see if the cable broke off the handle or if it broke off somewhere else. If it broke off the handle you can usually grab the cable with pliers and pull it to release the hood. If not the you will have the remove the hood latch. You should be able to go through the grill with a socket and long extension. You will want to remove the two hood latch blots and the the hood will open with the latch attached to it. You will then have to purchase a new cable and install it after that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried the socket and long extension twice and it is not able to grab the nuts to take it off that way,,, It broke off from the latch mechanism itself.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.

You will need to use a 13mm swivel socket to be able to get on the bolts holding the hood latch

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I know, I used a 13 mm long socket with an extension and swivel joint, and a 13 mm standard with the swivel ,, and cannot get to it. The Protective cover is in the way,,, and i have tried to push it out of the way with a pry bar, but still cannot get to them
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.

Ok well there are two different ways that chrysler tech assistance recommends to release the latch in the event the cable breaks. Here are the two ways.

Case NumberK85360341
Vehicle IssueCable release for hood is broken, hood will not open, is there an alternate way to open the hood.
System or ComponentInoperative,Will Not Move Down / Roll Down / Open,Broken / Missing;Customer Concern (No DTCs),Part Removal / Installation Issue,Repair Procedure;Hood,Exterior Hinge / Latch;Yes - Continuously
RecommendationThe hood latch can be released by putting the car on a hoist and engaging the pawl with a rod. The end of the rod should be bent at 90 degrees, 15 mm long. The bent end is used to push the pawl toward the driver side of the car to release the primary latch.
Modification Date12/21/04 2:22 PM

Case NumberK20832489
RecommendationAccess the latch with a rod through the fascia first since the latch is in front of the cooling module on the Intrepid. The end of the rod should be bent at 90 degrees, 15 mm long. The bent end is used to push the pawl toward the driver side of the car to release the primary latch.
Modification Date12/21/04 2:23 PM

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thank you for all your attempts at assisting me, but I have tried everything, nd the last recommendation is the one from the service manual which I had tried first , but could not gain access to the hood latch from under the car. I am about ready to use a sawsall and just cut out the latch then install a new one.
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.

Well i am sorry we werent able to resolve your problem. I do NOT recommend using a sawzaw to cut the latch as the vibrations and movement may trip one of the front impact sensors and cause your airbags to deploy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX use a hand saw if need be. Thank you
Expert:  ND-TECH replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome