Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead tech/ shop foreman

How do you time a 1997 chrysler concorde?

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.

Chad :

I will have to switch to Q&A to post pictures of timing alignment

JACUSTOMER-4bcu2t51- :

ok, what page will i find the q&a icon?

Chad :

you will get an email with the link to your question

JACUSTOMER-4bcu2t51- :

ok, thanks

Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.

CAUTION: The following procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts. Refer to Camshaft Sprocket and Engine Timing in this Section, if sprocket(s) or camshaft(s) have been loosened or removed.

CAUTION: The 3.2/3.5L are NOT freewheeling engines. Therefore, care should be taken not to rotate the camshafts or crankshaft with the timing belt removed.

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
  2. Remove upper radiator crossmember. Refer to body for procedure.
  3. Disconnect fan module electrical connector.
  4. Remove cooling fan module and accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System for procedures.
  5. Remove crankshaft damper and front timing belt covers. Refer to procedures this section.
  6. Mark belt running direction, if timing belt is to be reused

CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

7. Rotate engine clockwise until crankshaft mark aligns with the TDC mark on oil pump housing and the camshaft sprocket timing marks are between the marks on the rear covers Engine Timing Mark Alignment

CAUTION: Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on rear belt covers before timing belt removal or damage to valve and/or pistons could occur.

8. Using a ink or paint marker; mark the exact position of the camshaft sprocket timing mark relative to the two timing marks on the rear timing cover

NOTE: When timing belt tensioner is removed from engine, always store in the vertical (plunger facing upward) position.

9. Remove the timing belt tensioner Timing Belt System and remove timing belt
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, did that yesterday. The cam gears were never removed. WHen I removed the tensioner to remove the belt, the d/s cam fell out of time from where it was. I rotated it back into position using marks I had made before pulling the belt, installed the belt and tensioner. I tried to fire it up n it wont start. Do I now have to pull the plug in #1 Cylinder n cold time it now?
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.
Where your marks on the timing marks in the picture I posted?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no< they had advanced past that point and I marked them where they sat at the time. If the timing marks were @ 12 oclock, the cam shaft marks were @ 5. How do I set the cam timing marks @ tdc? When I had to rotate the d/s cam, I had to hold it in place manually due to the valve springs wanting to rotate it further.
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.
If it would have been in time when you took it apart the cam gears would not have move from spring tension. You need to turn the crank til the timing XXXXX XXXXXnes up, look at cams.Are they 180 out?If so, rotate the crank one more revolution. Are the cams lined up now? They should be all three lined up. If they still arent lined up, this is going to get a WHOLE lot more fun. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, Im gonna have 2 pull it al apart n give it a shot. do I have a time limit for responding or accepting you answer? for future reference, doesthe crank n both cam timing marks have to be aligned when doing a timing belt on dohc engine?
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.
I know it will time out in 24 hours. I don't now about the other part. YES, the crank and both cams have to be lined up with the timing marks in the picture when doing a timing belt.
Expert:  Chad replied 5 years ago.
Did you find the problem? Was it in time during the revolutions of the crank?